Home attack back in court
A MAN allegedly involved in group-bashing a man with baseball bats and an axe handle during a home invasion was denied bail in Bundaberg Magistrates Court yesterday.
Troy Justin Giudice, 35, of Moore Park, is charged with assault causing bodily harm, common assault, entering a dwelling with intent by break and enter, stealing and wilful damage.
Giudice and four others allegedly broke into a Burnett Heads home armed with baseball bats and an axe handle on July 2 after 10pm.
The occupants of the home locked themselves in a walk-in wardrobe and braced the door with their bodies but the alleged assailants got in.
Four of the men then allegedly bashed one of the victims with the weapons and repeatedly punched a witness in the head when he tried to intervene.
The men fled the scene in a white Hummer before police arrived, but they were noticed a short time later pulling into the driveway of a Walker Street home.
They were found in possession of the weapons and kitchen knives and parka jackets allegedly stolen from the victim.
Police Prosecutor Sergeant Robyn Shapcott fervently opposed the bail application.
“My friend is going to make the argument that Mr Giudice stood back and acted as a lookout, which is in contention,” Sgt Shapcott said.
“Precisely what did the defendant think was going to happen when he got in the vehicle and saw the weapons? It is quite clear he is a party to the offence.”
Sgt Shapcott told the court Giudice had several opportunities to remove himself from the situation.
“This defendant knew full well the ramification of what he embarked on,” she said.
“Does he pose a danger to the community? Yes. Will he reoffend? You only need to look at his extensive history to determine that.”
Magistrate Jennifer Batts denied the bail application and set Giudice down for committal mention on August 27.
One of Giudice's alleged co-offenders, Geoffrey David Richards, was granted bail last week.