8i Architects

History of disqualified driving lands motorist in jail

A HISTORY of disqualified driving eventually caught up with Brett Robert Coustley who has been jailed by a Toowoomba magistrate for his latest offence.

Coustley, 36, had spent the night in the Toowoomba watch house awaiting sentence after pleading guilty on Tuesday to driving while disqualified in October last year when returning to his Sunshine Coast home after attending the Bathurst motor racing carnival in New South Wales.

He told police he had only just taken over the driving from his wife who had fallen ill though he conceded it was not an emergency requiring him to drive, Toowoomba Magistrates Court heard.

At the time he had been subject to a six-month suspended jail sentence and three-year driving disqualification imposed by the court for similar offending just months before.

Magistrate Bruce Schemioneck noted by Coustley's traffic history that he had a number of disqualified driving offences dating back to 2012.

He had in the past received fines and ultimately a fully suspended sentence but Mr Schemioneck said the 36-year-old had shown contempt for court orders in continuing to drive while disqualified.

Mr Schemioneck sentenced Coustley to six months in jail on the most recent disqualified driving offence and activated in full the six months that had been suspended at his previous court appearance leading to a total 12 month term.

Mr Schemioneck ordered Coustley be released on parole on November 26 after having served four months and disqualified him from holding or obtaining a driver's licence for the next three years.
 



Betty bids farewell after 44 years

Premium Content Betty bids farewell after 44 years

A familiar face to many Bundy students, Betty Reid has retired from her role after...

CYBER CRIME: 12 scams to be aware of this Christmas

Premium Content CYBER CRIME: 12 scams to be aware of this Christmas

Detective Inspector Byrnes: If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

UPDATE: Search for reported missing person called off

Premium Content UPDATE: Search for reported missing person called off

Emergency services were called to the Bargara shore last night.