Hung jury in case of dad accused of raping daughter, 8
THE trial of a 46-year-old man accused of repeatedly raping his eight-year-old daughter has resulted in a hung jury.
The jury began deliberating on the verdict early on Thursday afternoon but failed to make a decision on Monday afternoon and was discharged in the Maryborough District Court.
The father-of-six is charged with four counts of forcing daughter to perform oral sex on him on two separate days in 2012.
During the trial the girl, now 10, told the court in pre-recorded evidence that her father forced her to perform oral sex on one occasion in 2012 in her brothers' bedroom.
She said he had also forced her to do the same three times on a different day in 2012 in her parent's bedroom.
A police interview with the alleged victim was also played to the jury, where police asked her to describe the last time her father made her perform oral sex.
Defence barrister Neville Weston told the jury the alleged victim's evidence was very short, inconsistent and unsatisfactory.
"In the space of the police interview (the alleged victim) has said two things that cannot be true," he said.
Mr Weston said the girl was unhappy in a home that did not appear to be a place where children were brought up appropriately, and appeared to be prepared to say anything to get away from constant arguing between her parents.
Crown prosecutor Sam Bain said the girl, who was nine when she gave evidence, was a reliable and honest witness.
The court was told the alleged victim was removed from her parent's care in May 2013 and has not had any contact with the father since then.
The case has been listed for mention in court on Wednesday.