Having a whale of a time in Bundy
WHALE season has well and truly kicked off, with the first of many humpbacks passing through Bundaberg waters now.
Lady Musgrave Experience owner Brett Lakey has started whale tours from Bundy and said the humpbacks were making daily appearances as they head north.
"We sit on what we like to call humpback highway," he said.
"The whales will keep swimming our way for the next few months with July, August and September the best times to see them."
Mr Lakey said the humpbacks would head through Bundaberg waters and north to feed, mate and play in the warm waters.
To book a whale watching tour with the Lady Musgrave Experience team, head to www.ladymusgraveexperience.com.au
- Length Adults: 14m to 18m; Calves: 4m to 5m at birth
- Weight Adults: up to 50 tonnes; Calves: 2 tonnes at birth
- Gestation: 11 to 11.5 months
- Weaning age: up to 11 months
- Calving interval: 2 to 3 years
- Physical maturity age: 12 to 15 years
- Sexual maturity age: 4 to 10 years
- Mating season: June to October
- Calving season: June to October
- Cruising speed: 8km/h
- Blow pattern: Small and bushy, up to 4m
Protected Since 1965