Quarry played insignificant role in Grantham disaster
UPDATE: THE $2.5 million Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry has found the Wagner quarry had an insignificant impact on the 2011 Lockyer Valley flood that killed 12 people.
The inquiry's commissioner, Walter Sofronoff, said he felt the quarry and Wagner family had been unjustly blamed.
He said there was no cover-up, despite some residents' concerns.
Mr Sofronoff said he made no recommendations on how to improve mitigating future disasters in the report, which was handed down on Thursday, as it was not part of the inquiry's terms of reference.
He agreed the event was a tragic act of God and said it would always stay with locals.
Mr Sofronoff said the inquiry was the most shocking thing he had been involved in in his 24 years of legal practice.
Lockyer MP Ian Rickuss questioned whether the inquiry cost $2.5 million, suggesting it could have blown out to $10 million when several Queensland Government departments' work and the Wagner family's legal fees were taken into account.
He said the Lockyer Valley Regional Council's costs would have likely been about $500,000.
Mr Rickuss stopped short of condemning the decision to have another inquiry into the flood, but accused Premier
Annastacia Palaszczuk of being driven by ideological groups and Sydney media personalities.
EARLIER: THE Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry report will be made public on Thursday morning following a lengthy investigation and public hearings.
Twelve people lost their lives in the 2011 Lockyer Valley flood.
The Queensland Government established a commission to investigate the flood again following calls for another inquiry from numerous Grantham locals and Lockyer Valley Regional Council Mayor Steve Jones.
The inquiry began in May and reported back to the government in September.
- APN NEWSDESK