Garry Beattie sentence appeal decision expected within weeks

A BUNDABERG child sex offender with a history of abusing kids faces an anxious wait to see if the state's highest court deems the suspended sentence he received for sexually abusing two minors is in line with community expectations.

Garry John Beattie was convicted in the Bundaberg District Court in March in relation to seven charges stemming from his interaction with two minors in 1996 and 2001.

He was sentenced to 18 months behind bars but walked free from court with a wholly suspended sentence.

Queensland Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie appeal the sentence the following month claiming it was manifestly inadequate.

Crown Prosecutor Michael Byrne told the Queensland Court of Appeal on Thursday that Beattie had an extensive criminal history of offending against minors.

"He has a lengthy pattern of similar offending using a similar modus operandi," he said.

"It is submitted that Beattie continues to be a significant risk.

"The Crown also submits that a custodial sentence in this matter is warranted given his history."

Mr Byrne said Beattie had been found guilty of child sex charges in the Bundaberg District Court in 2010 and was sentenced to serve 18 months behind bars.

He said those charges were unrelated to this matter but came on the back of convictions in South Australia and Victoria during the 90s and 00s.

"Since his release in October, 2011, he has not undertaken any further sex offender programs," he said.

"He has only undertaken a program since the appeal was lodged.

"It is highly coincidental and I submit not a genuine attempt."

Defence barrister John Allen said Beattie had undertaken the sexual offenders program while in prison for the 2010 offences.

"He showed a significant improvement in the underlying issues that contribute to his offending," he said.

"The report definitely showed he had made progress.

"The sentence imposed is in our submission not unreasonable or unjust."

The court heard Beattie was fined in the Bundaberg Magistrates Court in 2012 for failing to obey his reporting conditions.

The Court of Appeal ordered that the Queensland Probation and Parole Board produce a report into Beattie's performance while he has been on parole.

It ordered that the report be made available to both parties within the next two weeks.

The Court of Appeal reserved its decision until then.

BEATTIE'S CHILD SEX CONVICTIONS

1992 - South Australia District Court

2004 - Victorian Magistrates Court

2007 - Bundaberg District Court

2010 - Bundaberg District Court (Received an 18 month jail sentence)

2011- Melbourne County Court

2012- Bundaberg Magistrates Court (Fined for failing to report)

2014- Bundaberg District Court (18month wholly suspended sentence)



UPDATE: How hiker lost her way in island forest

Premium Content UPDATE: How hiker lost her way in island forest

The missing 73-year-old Fraser Island hiker has been found

Green light for new three-storey motel in region

Premium Content Green light for new three-storey motel in region

BUNDABERG’S city centre is about to level up with a three-storey motel approved on...

Jake’s miracle survival: ‘I just thought he was buggered’

Premium Content Jake’s miracle survival: ‘I just thought he was buggered’

Nine-year-old Jake Bacon was playing soccer when he told he his coach he was tired...