Toxic fumes overcome Springfield lagoon workers

TWO Orion Lagoon workers were taken to hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes at the weekend.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at the popular recreational spot at Springfield yesterday just before midday.

It is understood hydrochloric acid and chlorine were somehow mixed together before coming into contact with water.

A pool maintenance person and a cleaner are believed to have been overcome by the fumes in the lagoon's pump house.

Three Queensland Fire and Rescue units attended the scene where scientific officers conducted tests and ventilated the area.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said the two men were taken to Ipswich Hospital in a stable condition as a precaution.

The lagoon was not closed during the brief incident and the public was not placed in danger due to the chemical spill.



30 horrific murders and deaths that have rocked Bundaberg

premium_icon 30 horrific murders and deaths that have rocked Bundaberg

Community's heart has been broken by heartbreaking crimes

MP speaks out about 'radical' gender resource for schools

MP speaks out about 'radical' gender resource for schools

Concerns raised over controversial resource about gender

Local Partners