Fire crews work to extinguish a blaze that started in the kitchen of house on May St, Walkervale, after cooking oil ignited.
Fire crews work to extinguish a blaze that started in the kitchen of house on May St, Walkervale, after cooking oil ignited. Emily Prain

Chiko Roll sparks kitchen fire

A KITCHEN was significantly damaged after cooking oil ignited on a gas cook-top late yesterday.

Gaby Heironymus had turned off the stove after cooking herself a Chiko Roll in her May St, Walkervale, home about 4.45pm.

She had left the kitchen and, when she returned, the pot was engulfed in flames.

"I threw a fire blanket over it and could not extinguish it so I called 000," she said.

"When I was in there the rangehood had just melted away.

"I had to get out because the smoke was so thick."

Mrs Heironymus raced outside the home and stood in the pouring rain and watched as fire crews worked to contain the fire.

A QFRS spokeswoman said fire investigators had not been called in to investigate the incident, and the fire had been extinguished promptly.



'Girl On Fire' swoops in to see Bundy's chicken whisperer

premium_icon 'Girl On Fire' swoops in to see Bundy's chicken whisperer

EVERY girl has a spark inside, including stunt artist Ky Furneaux

Mercury to drop with chilly mornings on the way

premium_icon Mercury to drop with chilly mornings on the way

A dry air mass has swept across the state

Local Partners