Sport

UPDATE: Watts yet to be cleared by QRL to return for Waves

UPDATE FRIDAY 6PM

WAVES Tigers will hope the signing of former NRL player Anthony Watts will bring size, strength and experience to a relatively young team eager to win the competition.

Watts will join fellow former NRL second-rower Con Mika in the Tigers outfit.

Central Division manager Glenn Ottaway said Watts' case came across his desk on Thursday morning, and would not comment on whether the 28-year-old's history would prevent his return.

"There's a possibility he could be cleared by the weekend but we have to wait and see," Ottaway said.

Early yesterday afternoon, he had yet to be cleared.

Waves president and coach Russell Thomas said it would be great for local rugby league to have a player of Watts' capabilities involved in the game.

"Forget the notoriety, he is a human being and a very good footballer," Thomas said.

"We're quite prepared to give the gentleman a second chance," he said.

Thomas said the deal, which was announced on Wednesday, came about as both parties reached out to each other.

"A very good friend of mine, Steve Southern, is very close to Watts," he said.

"We've been talking about it for quite a while."

Thomas said Watts' experience playing rugby league at the highest level would be invaluable to the squad.

"That will be through training and showing what's required to get to the highest level to be competitive," he said.

He was last seen in the NRL in 2010 when he played for North Queensland Cowboys.

Watts' inclusion in the Tigers squad could not have come at a better time, with the side to take on premiership favourites Hervey Bay Seagulls.

The Seagulls were humbled last week, going down to Isis Devils 26-18.

However, Thomas said he would not underestimate a Hervey Bay side that had recruited well in 2015.

"As far as I'm concerned Hervey Bay are favourites for the comp," he said.

"It doesn't matter who beats who at this stage.

"Wait until we get to about round 10 or 11 to look at how things will pan out."

 

UPDATE: Former NRL star Anthony Watts' long history of indiscretions could come back to bite.

Watts' extensive rap sheet, which includes on-field issues in the NRL, his history as a bikie with the Finks Motorcycle Club, and an alleged penis-biting incident in 2013, will all be assessed before the Queensland Rugby League approve a clearance.

Central Division manager Glenn Ottaway said Watt's case came across his desk this morning, and would not comment on whether the 28-year-old's history would prevent his return.

"Everyone is well aware of his history but everything I know at this stage is what has been in newspapers," Ottaway said.

"We have to look into everything."

QRL is yet to clear the former Cronulla and North Queensland hooker to play for Waves Tigers in the Bundaberg Rugby League, with a decision to be made in coming days.

"There's a possibility he could be cleared by the weekend but we have to wait and see," Ottaway said.

EARLIER: Former NRL star Anthony Watts has officially been unveiled as Waves Tigers latest signing.

Watts will join fellow former NRL second-rower Con Mika in the Tigers outfit, who are building a solid side coach and president Russell Thomas hopes will challenge for the Bundaberg Rugby League's first grade title.

Watts is no stranger to headlines, with several unsavoury incidents punctuating a troubled career.

In 2013 he was at the centre of an incident in the Gold Coast's Bycroft Cup. Playing for Tugun Seahawks, Watts was accused of biting a Bilambil Jets player on the penis during a melee.

Watts denied the allegation, but was suspended for eight weeks.

"Trouble seems to find me but I'm going to try and stay out of it and be in my best behaviour," Watts told 7 Local News.

Watts, 28, was last seen in the NRL in 2010 when he played for North Queensland Cowboys.

He moved to Sydney Rooster on a three-year deal in 2011, but that move was unceremoniously cut short when he was allegedly involved in an altercation with his girlfriend. He was suspended by the Roosters and never played a first grade game for the side.

In 2012 he linked with English Super League side Widnes, and after showing good form in preseason games was expected to set the competition alight. His ESL season lasted only 10 minutes after he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament, and was later released from his contract.

Watts turned his hand to boxing and won won his first professional fight in just 29 seconds.

His second bout was last year's much-hyped fight against Cronulla Sharks enforcer Paul Gallen. The fight lasted just 88 seconds as Watts suffered a shoulder injury.

Topics:  anthony watts bundaberg rugby league waves tigers



How to survive a bushfire in your car

IT SOUNDS like a nightmare, but it can happen.

Eight reasons to join the RFS

SPREAD across 93% of Queensland, the Rural Fire Service has about 36,000 volunteers. And you could be one of them.

What if my insurer gives me grief?

CLAIMING your insurance cover after a natural disaster can go one of two ways. It can be a breeze, or like pulling teeth.

Four crews called to fire near Draper Road

Bush fire at Murdering Creek Road, Peregian.

Four QFES crews were called to the scene of a bushfire yesterday

Local Partners

'He can see!' Mum's tears as boy fights Taipan bite

TWO-year-old Eli Campbell continues to amaze his parents and doctors as he bravely takes on his recovery from a near-fatal taipan bite.


What's on: Saturday, December 3

Not sure what to do today? We've got you covered

Head to the sugar museum for a sweet taste of history

Cutting the ribbon to officially open the revamped Sugar Museum at Fairymead House is Mayor Jack Dempsey and Fairymead House Team Leader Hayley Vale.

Learn about the industry that made Bundy what it is

List of gigs happening around Bundy

KEY NOTE: Country singer Alex Peden. Photo: Scottie Simmonds / NewsMail

There's a live show for everyone

Jennifer Lawrence gives keys to new partner

Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence

Oscar winner settling down with new partner

Rogue One star proud to lead new Star Wars film

Felicity Jones leads the new Star Wars film

Star Wars lead proud to be in front in sci-fi

What's on the small screen this week

Ernie Dingo stars in the TV series Going Places with Ernie Dingo.

ERNIE Dingo stars in a new travel series and Seven airs the AACTAs.

Mandy Moore feels like she's 60

Mandy Moore sees herself as a 60-year-old rather than a 32-year-old

Goooodbye Hamish and Andy (from our radios)

Hamish and Andy

The pair have been on air since 2006

David Attenborough on facing his mortality

Sir David Attenborough in a scene from the TV special The Death of the Oceans.

Life without Sir David Attenborough is hard to imagine

Chinese locked out of Australian property market

The rules are different if you're a foreigner

The buyer was from China - the trouble started right there

Morrison signs off on new affordable rental model

Australia's Treasurer Scott Morrison speaks during a press conference after a meeting of the Council of Federal Financial Relations at Parliament House in Canberra, Friday, Dec. 2, 2016.

Scott Morrison signed off on development of a new financing model

Coast high-flyer's fight back from bankruptcy, $72m debt

Scott Juniper went from millionaire developer to declaring bankruptcy in2012, now he is back on top of his game again with new developments including this one in Coolum.

'Apocalyptic lending storm' causes financial collapse.

How your home can earn you big $$$$ this Christmas

This luxury Twin Waters home rents out over Christmas for more than $6000 a week.

Home owners earning thousands renting out their homes this Christmas

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!