Firies plug cars gas leakage
A MOTORIST had a longer than anticipated wait at the bowser yesterday morning when his converted gas sedan started leaking LPG from the valve.
Drivers nonchalantly continued to use the service station as the car was isolated and an area cordoned off at the Takalvan Street Mobil, while two firefighters tried to plug the leak.
The driver said the car had been converted to a gas fuel tank three years ago and this was the first occasion it had played up.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Bundaberg station officer Chris Sheather said one fire crew worked for around 20 minutes to contain the leak, believed to have stemmed from a faulty filler valve in the car.
“The crew isolated the car and basically crimped the hose to stop the leak,” he said.
The owner was able to drive the car to a service agent to be repaired once the leak had been stopped.
“It isn’t a common occurrence but it is something that does happen every now and then and people need to be fully aware of,” Mr Sheather said.
He said motorists should be wary of such problems and not treat them lightly.
Although yesterday’s incident was handled calmly, Mr Sheather said any gas leak had the potential to turn ugly.
“You have to be careful it doesn’t start leaking because it can obviously light up easily – it doesn’t happen often but it can happen,” he said.