QUICK THINKING: The Woolworths Caltex on Takalvan St, where an electrical fire broke out early this morning.
QUICK THINKING: The Woolworths Caltex on Takalvan St, where an electrical fire broke out early this morning.

Firefighters praise service station staff after fire

FIREFIGHTERS have commended a local service station attendant for "quick thinking” after an electrical fire broke out this morning.

QFES Bundaberg station officer Andrew McCracken said crews were called to the Woolworths Caltex on Takalvan St about 4am.

"The shop area was full of smoke and we found out it was an electrical controller from a diesel pump that had shorted,” Mr McCracken said.

"The attendant had done the right thing and turned the power off straight away and then contacted us.”

Mr McCracken said while the control unit was damaged, things could have been a lot worse.

"If the power wasn't turned off it would have allowed the fire to continue and it would have turned into something quite big,” he said.

"It is a good reminder for people over Christmas, if there is smoke coming from something electrical turn the main switch off.

"Nine times out of ten that move alone stops the fire.”



FISHING REPORT: Fish-a-plenty around the region

Premium Content FISHING REPORT: Fish-a-plenty around the region

Find out where this fish are biting around the region this week.

Fears for wildlife population as island continues to burn

Premium Content Fears for wildlife population as island continues to burn

‘An awful lot of animals would have perished’

REVEALED: How Agnes Fest will spend $25k funding boost

Premium Content REVEALED: How Agnes Fest will spend $25k funding boost

“We’ll have this whole other area where artists would perform.”