Centre evacuated after fire
SUGARLAND Shoppingtown was evacuated yesterday after a fire started in the ceiling of a surf shop in the centre.
Bundaberg fire station officer Vicki Shailer said the fire was contained to the area.
“Security tried to extinguish the fire before crews arrived,” she said.
“The fire was sort of going so we finalised the extinguishment when we arrived.”
An electrical fault is believed to have sparked the blaze and investigations are continuing. Sugarland Shoppingtown operations manager Peter Cocking said the centre was evacuated in a safe and sound manner.
“Fire services inspected the centre and declared the centre safe to reopen at 12.03pm,” he said.
He said the surf shop, Rush, required minor repairs but was expected to re-open today.
Ms Shailer praised shopping centre management for evacuating the building before crews arrived.