Violent explosions rock street

Fire destroys a two storey house on Samuels Road yesterday.
Fire destroys a two storey house on Samuels Road yesterday. Max Fleet

A SERIES of explosions rocked a quiet Branyan street yesterday during a house fire that sent a man to hospital with burns.

Loud blasts were heard coming from the two-storey Samuels Road house about 10.20am followed by a thick plume of smoke, sparking triple-0 calls.

The 36-year-old man tried to put the fire out himself using buckets and a hose, but he was overcome by heat and smoke, and suffered burns to his face and hands.

Samuels Road was cordoned off for several hundred metres away from the two-storey brick-and-timber home, after fears of further explosions.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Bundaberg station officer Vicki Shailer said the house was gutted by the blaze.

“The house was completely alight when we arrived,” Mrs Shailer said.

The brick walls of the lower floor buckled under the heat, and the blaze took hold in the timber-framed second storey.

“The top level collapsed, so nothing was salvageable,” she said.

The flames were so fierce that it took eight firefighters more than two hours to put out the blaze.

“It was very difficult to extinguish completely because there were a large number of hot spots,” Mrs Shailer said.

A Queensland Police Service spokeswoman said initial examinations suggested the fire started in the living room.

But she said it was too early to conduct a full investigation, because the house was so extensively damaged that it could not be entered.

“Fire investigators and police will conduct an investigation to determine the cause of the fire as soon as the scene is made safe,” the spokeswoman said.

The house was under police guard last night to ensure no-one tried to enter the property.

The man was taken to Bundaberg Hospital but his injuries were not believed to be serious.

He was the only person home at the time of the fire.

Tragedy haunts repeat offender

About 8.40pm Marcel Carson was picked up by an RBT at Calliope and returned a positive alcohol reading of 0.117%, more than twice the legal limit.

Ms Delaney described Carson's 2016 and 2017 as a "living hell”.

Dianne's arrival delayed

RESCHEDULE: The fishing trawler, Dianne, which capsized north of Bundaberg, will be towed to the region by Monday.

Mother Nature has hampered the recovery

Local Partners