Dog owners are being warned that the mushrooms that have popped up on lawns and parklands across southeast Queensland following the recent rain event can kill.

While not all fungi are toxic it can be difficult to tell those that are dangerous to pets, so Brisbane veterinarian Dr Joshua Llinas advises dog owners to keep a close eye on their fur babies.

Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.
Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.

"It is vital that if a dog has eaten a mushroom and is showing signs of being unwell and vomiting that they are taken immediately to the vet," he said.

"Fast detox is essential in these cases. Once absorbed some of these fungi can be fatal."

The doctor advises pet owners to take photos of the fungi to help the experts identify the type.

"These wet-weather mushrooms can be dangerous to all animals including guinea pigs and even birds but dogs are more likely to be inquisitive," he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally published as Fatal fungi: Warning over wet-weather mushrooms



COLOUR POP: New hair care collection celebrates diversity

Premium Content COLOUR POP: New hair care collection celebrates diversity

The Goreng Goreng artist who grew up in Bundaberg has teamed up with a leading...

ROAD CLOSURE: Road in Gin Gin closed due to crash

Premium Content ROAD CLOSURE: Road in Gin Gin closed due to crash

The road is expected to remain closed until at least midday after a crash.

NEW ROLE: $2 billion investment sees more support for region

Premium Content NEW ROLE: $2 billion investment sees more support for region

A Bundaberg local has been selected as NBN’s new business lead for Wide Bay and...