Bus debacle players await fate
ACROSS the Waves cricket president Noel Stitt insists his club is committed to making players who were part of the Bundaberg cricket team bus debacle last month accountable for their actions.
However, none of the players from ATW, or any other club, have faced any suspensions since an investigative bungle forced Bundaberg Cricket Association to abandon its prosecution of the players.
On November 21, four players were suspended by the Bundaberg Cricket Association (BCA) after an investigation into alleged lewd incidents that occurred on the bus trip home from a representative match in Kingaroy on November 8.
But those suspensions were overturned when the BCA admitted to flaws in its own investigation, including the time that lapsed between the incident and the investigation.
The clubs were ordered to handle the affair but little punishment has been handed out since.
Country Wests president Gary Holloway said the situation was “dead and buried” at his club.
But no Country Wests players implicated in the bus trip served any suspensions from Bundaberg Cricket Association matches.
“A meeting was held with the players involved immediately after the Bundaberg Cricket Association ceased the investigation. All the players have been put on notice,” Holloway said.
“We don’t condone their actions and they know that they can’t behave inappropriately at club functions.”
Stitt said his club intended to deal out “consequences” to the actions of the players.
With Stitt out of Bundaberg on representative duties since the affair unfolded, ATW has been unable to hold a committee meeting to determine the punishment.
Brothers cricket president Vince Habermann did not return phone calls from the NewsMail yesterday.