The Beaumont children’s disappearance sparked one of the largest scale police investigations in Australian history.
The Beaumont children’s disappearance sparked one of the largest scale police investigations in Australian history.

Police confirm excavation to find Beaumont children

AN ADELAIDE industrial site which has long been linked to the cold case of the missing Beaumont children will be excavated starting on Friday, police have confirmed.

Police said a forward command post will established on the New Castalloy site at North Plympton with digging to commence at 8am.

The beginning of excavation works follows the emergence of new information and evidence which was described as the "best lead that there has ever been".

The case of the missing Beaumont children - Jane, 9, Arna, 7, and Grant, 4 - shocked the nation after they vanished from Glenelg beach on January 26, 1966.

The site, once owned by Adelaide businessman Harry Phipps, was originally searched in 1966 and again in 2013.

Major Crime detectives reportedly admitted in 2013 that Mr Phipps was not a suspect while claiming allegations implicating him had been investigated and discounted. Mr Phipps died in 2004.

 

Jane, Grant and Arna Beaumont disappeared from Glenelg, SA, on 26 Jan 1966.
Jane, Grant and Arna Beaumont disappeared from Glenelg, SA, on 26 Jan 1966.


WHAT’S ON: Plenty of Australia Day events in region

Premium Content WHAT’S ON: Plenty of Australia Day events in region

Wide Bay-Burnett hosts Great Australian Bites festival this Australia Day.

Bundy butcher takes flavour infusion to next level

Premium Content Bundy butcher takes flavour infusion to next level

Nothing quite says Australia Day like lamb snags and ginger beer and dreams of both...

Woman fined after trying to contest covid infringement

Premium Content Woman fined after trying to contest covid infringement

The mum says she was unaware of the restrictions and was busted when she travelled...