Driver's day in court seven years after crash
A 29-YEAR-OLD woman who moved interstate after a booze and drug-fuelled traffic crash and assumed the matter would be dealt with in her absence has faced court nearly seven years later.
Raewyn Rose Hansen appeared in Bundaberg Magistrates Court, where she pleaded guilty yesterday to five charges including dangerous driving while adversely affected, driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a licence.
The court was told the crash happened in a 60kmh zone of Barolin St on December 3, 2008, near the intersection of Marshall St.
Police prosecutor Acting Senior Constable Andrew Blunt told the court police attended the crash where the complainant said her Kia Rio had been hit from behind by a car that left the scene.
"The impact caused her car to spin 180 degrees and she was left facing the direction she came from," he said.
Act Snr Const Blunt said three witnesses gave evidence that the silver Ford driven by Hansen was going about 100kmh when it attempted to overtake the Kia Rio on the left.
All witnesses said Hansen's car drove onto the gravel edge of the road and lost control, before hitting the Rio. Act Snr Const Blunt said when Hansen was found by police she admitted she had consumed 13 drinks and ecstasy, describing herself as "really wasted".
Defence lawyer Matt Messenger said Hansen left Queensland shortly after the crash for a fresh start and mistakenly thought the matter would be dealt with in her absence.
He said Hansen recently returned to Gin Gin to be closer to her parents, both of whom are suffering health issues.
Magistrate Aaron Simpson took into consideration Hansen's perfect traffic record since the crash but also noted the crash could have seriously injured others.
She was fined $2500 and disqualified from driving for 14 months.