CLOSE CALL: Keegan Slater said his car window, near where his nine-month-old son was sitting, was smashed by debris on Duckpond Rd.
CLOSE CALL: Keegan Slater said his car window, near where his nine-month-old son was sitting, was smashed by debris on Duckpond Rd. Contributed

Man's son covered in glass after rural road drama

DEBRIS scattered on a rural road almost caused chaos for one Gin Gin resident last weekend.

On Sunday morning, Keegan Slater was driving down Duckpond Rd when his car was struck by debris that smashed the back passenger window, close to where his nine-month-old son was seated.

"We were coming across Duckpond Rd and going down the hill and next thing I know there is a big smash," he said.

"I stopped the car to see what's going on, looked behind to see the rear window was broken and my son covered in small pieces of glass."

 

This isn't the first time Mr Slater has had problems on the same stretch of road.

Last week, the NewsMail reported on his frustration and his years of protests to Bundaberg Regional Council to see the "dangerous" road fixed.

The council responded to Mr Slater's safety concerns, stating current roadworks were under way but a complete upgrade was not in future plans due to the road not being deemed as high risk.

 

Keegan Slater's car was smashed by debris on Duckpond Rd.
Keegan Slater's car was smashed by debris on Duckpond Rd. Contributed

The most recent incident, which Mr Slater believed was due to a fallen tree branch, had now accentuated his safety concerns.

"My son wasn't hurt but if he was sitting on the other side of the car where the window broke, he probably would have been cut to pieces.," he said.

The council's Roads and Drainage spokesman Cr Wayne Honor said the council had been made aware of the incident.

"Community safety is a prime concern of council and acting on Mr Slater's report council staff will inspect the location and should safety improvements or general maintenance be required it will be undertaken," Cr Honor said.

"Council has no reason to believe that Duckpond Rd is dangerous and advises that there are currently no works planned in the current three-year forward works program to upgrade Duckpond Rd."

Mr Slater, who has been protesting about the condition of the road for years, said he was frustrated with the council's response to his concerns.

He said the dirt road needed to be properly upgraded with bitumen, dangerous trees removed and the road widened before an accident occurred.

"I feel like all the safety problems I have brought up with council have been neglected," he said.

"They have come and given it a band-aid scrub up and left us with a slop pile to drive through," he said.

 

Mr Slater said debris such as these fallen tree branches are constantly scattered across the road.
Mr Slater said debris such as these fallen tree branches are constantly scattered across the road. Contributed

Read more about Mr Slaters' concerns here: http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/mechanic-says-local-road-an-accident-waiting-to-ha/3060896/



Multi-million dollar project slated to trigger job hike

premium_icon Multi-million dollar project slated to trigger job hike

Region jobs will be up for grabs if a $150m solar farm is approved

Rock wall saves holiday sites from impending collapse

premium_icon Rock wall saves holiday sites from impending collapse

The council project resolved a potentially disastrous situation

Local Partners