INSPECTOR Mark Stuart has shared an insight into the Dundowran shed fire as scientific crews conduct onsite testing.

The Inspector for Queensland Fire and Rescue Service was the incident controller at Thursday's fire on Lower Mountain Road in Dundowran.

While more than five crews had the blaze under control quickly, Inspector Stuart said due to the construction of the structure, crews had limited access.  

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews at the scene of a shed fire in Dundowran.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews at the scene of a shed fire in Dundowran. contributed

Inspector Stuart, who is based out of Maryborough, said when crews arrived on scene they faced a potential collapse.

He explained the importance of constantly assessing the risk to the community, fire fighters on ground and the environment.

Inspector Mark Stuart shares an insight into the shed fire at Dundowran.
Inspector Mark Stuart shares an insight into the shed fire at Dundowran. Contributed

"When steel reaches above 1500 degrees it starts to lose strength," he said.

"The walls and roof of he structure had started to sag which is an indication of a potential building collapse."

Before arriving on scene, he said crews were aware no-one was inside.

Inspector Stuart, who is based out of Maryborough, said gas cylinders in the structure posed a potential risk.  

The clean-up is expected to take more than a couple of days with testing of any residue to ensure it is made safe.

"It is then the responsibility of the owners to have the clean-up done by contractors where required," Inspector Stuart said.

In fires of this nature, Inspector Stewart said special firefighting techniques were used to combat the blaze.

"We use specific spray patterns from the hose to control and cool the fire while limiting water which reduces run off," he said. 

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews at the scene of a shed fire in Dundowran.
Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews at the scene of a shed fire in Dundowran. contributed

The station officer from Torquay Fire Station, John Pappers said it was important the community took notice of materials and chemicals they may have around the house or shed.

"It is important to be aware of your surrounds when conducting any activities that could cause a fire," he said.



Word by word: Barnes makes his case

premium_icon Word by word: Barnes makes his case

Read how things unfolded for councillor Barnes at Monday's meeting

Bundy shopping centre shoots for school holiday fun

premium_icon Bundy shopping centre shoots for school holiday fun

This free activity is a great way to keep your kids busy

Needles found at popular park for second time this month

Needles found at popular park for second time this month

More sharps left in popular kids' play area

Local Partners