Derailment to be investigated
AN investigation has been launched into the derailment of a cane locomotive on Price Street in Kensington just before 11pm on Sunday.
One man was taken to Bundaberg Hospital with a suspected fractured leg and was released from hospital yesterday afternoon.
A second man was treated at the scene for back pain.
The cane train was carrying empty bins and heading to the siding when the incident occurred.
Isis Central Sugar Mill general manager John Gorringe said initial investigations had shown the derailment had been caused by a failing in the track.
“The locomotive has been uprighted and the line was due to open at about 1pm,” Mr Gorringe said.
“There has been no suggestion of driver error at this stage.”
Mr Gorringe said a full investigation into the incident would take place.
The incident is the second cane train derailment for the 2010 crush, which started in June.
The first crash, on June 25, was the subject of a Workplace Health and Safety investigation and saw two workers taken to hospital for treatment for minor injuries.
“We have a whole range of procedures including an extensive training program and extensive work maintaining the locomotives and rail lines to ensure our workers are safe,” Mr Gorringe said.
Australian Workers' Union central district secretary Keith Ballin said a derailment could happen at any time.
“It all depends on whether there are rocks of steel which have been placed on the line and a lot of the time you don't really know if kids have been down there tampering with it until the derailment happens,” he said.
Mr Ballin said the tracks used by Isis Central Sugar Mill were often regarded as some of the better tracks as they used concrete rather than wooden sleepers.
“As far as commonality goes, there are a number of derailments around the place each cane season,” he said.