Deadly tick hits Bundaberg
A BUNDABERG vet is urging pet owners to be vigilant following a paralysis tick attack on a Bargara dog.
The dog was brought into the East Bundaberg Veterinary Hospital this week paralysed, with two paralysis ticks latched it on to its eyelid.
The five-year-old female shih tzu, whose owner is away, could not even stand up when it was brought into the vet clinic.
The vet who treated the dog, Dr Sheridan Manion, said the Shih Tzu was dull and lifeless when she was brought in.
"The dog was paralysed, was not able to move. Especially the legs," Dr Manion said.
"Finding it difficult to breath. We were a bit worried so we put her on oxygen.
"She seemed frightened and her tempreture was low."The paralysis tick, also called the scrub or shell back tick, injects a toxic poison into the host as it feeds on its blood.
East Bundaberg Veterinary Hospital owner Dr David Challen, who has 38 years of veterinary experience with 20 of them in Bundaberg, said the dangerous tick was here, and the fast breeding blood sucker would spread.
"It's a worry that it's come to Bundaberg," Dr Challen said.
"They're starting to breed in the area.
"Owners should check their pet every day and if they do see a tick pull it straight off, put it in a container and take it to a vet for identification to see if it's dangerous."