Scott Bolton speaks to media

NRL star’s sex assault case in court

COWBOYS forward Scott Bolton did not appear in court today to answer charges he indecently assaulted a 49-year-old woman after he allegedly grabbed her genitalia at a Bondi pub last month.

His matter was mentioned at Waverley Local Court for the first time this morning however Bolton did not appear and was represented by his lawyer.

The matter was adjourned to August 8.

Scott Bolton broke down when he spoke about the charges last month. Picture: Scott Radford-Chisholm
Scott Bolton broke down when he spoke about the charges last month. Picture: Scott Radford-Chisholm

Police allege between 10.30pm and 10.35pm on May 5 Bolton assaulted the woman and at the time of the assault he committed an act of indecency by grabbing her genitalia at the Bondi Beach Public Bar.

The NRL star was charged the following day at Waverley Police Station at 9.20am.

Bolton had gone to Bondi Beach Public Bar with teammates following the Cowboys 26-20 win over the Penrith Panthers in Bathurst.

Scott Bolton pictured at Brisbane Domestic Airport after being charged. Picture: Jacob Miley
Scott Bolton pictured at Brisbane Domestic Airport after being charged. Picture: Jacob Miley

The team was staying in Sydney ahead of a game against the Wests Tigers.

Several players continued to drink after their meal and by 10.50pm police allegedly received a phone call regarding a complaint from a female patron. By the time investigators arrived the Cowboys had moved on.

Bolton broke down when he spoke publicly about the charges for the first time.

"I understand that our members, partners and fans would like me to talk about the allegation that has been made against me," he said.

Scott Bolton didn’t appear in court this morning. Picture: Zak Simmonds
Scott Bolton didn’t appear in court this morning. Picture: Zak Simmonds

"However, since this is a matter that involves the police and the NRL integrity unit, I am unable to make any comments about the incident right now.

"What I can say is that I am taking the matter very seriously and co-operating fully with both the police and the NRL integrity unit.

"I have been approved to play by the NRL and the club during the investigation and so will work with the coach and our football department to decide whether I will play this week or not."



Shell-shocked: Feisty crab nips out for main street stroll

Shell-shocked: Feisty crab nips out for main street stroll

Mudcrab taken down with a help of a spanner near Maynard Rd

'Are you ready to die?': Man attacks 2yo daughter, ex

premium_icon 'Are you ready to die?': Man attacks 2yo daughter, ex

Magistrate says case is one of the most vicious attacks in years.