Repeat offender lands in court
A 52-YEAR-OLD woman who was caught drink-driving three times in four years had her licence disqualified for one year on Friday.
Sandra Julie Nash pleaded guilty in Bundaberg Magistrates Court to driving under the influence.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens told the court that on May 14 at 8.50pm on Captain Cook Drive, Nash had been intercepted by police for driving with her high beams on.
The woman, who had no history up until four years ago, blew 0.101 in a breath test.
“I don't know what has happened to make someone of her age suddenly begin to commit these offences,” Sgt Stevens said.
“Beginning four years ago, she has had a steady flow of traffic offences.”
Defence lawyer Matthew Messenger told the court his client's husband had been diagnosed with prostate cancer four years ago.
“She has described it as a nightmare experience,” Mr Messenger said.
Magistrate Jennifer Batts took into account the fact that Nash was the carer of her husband, her plea of guilty, her history and the circumstances surrounding the offence when making her decision.
She said 12 months was the shortest disqualification she could grant under the circumstances.
Ms Batts sentenced Nash to 12 months probation and disqualified the defendant's driver's licence for 12 months.
“This sort of behaviour has to stop,” the magistrate told Nash.