Flood evacuation centre plan facing delays
CONSTRUCTION of an emergency evacuation centre for Bundaberg is facing further delays.
The hold-up comes as the Bundaberg Regional Council postponed a call for construction tenders for the Bundaberg Multiplex development - to be built at the former showgrounds facility.
The decision was made at an ordinary meeting of council yesterday as Bundaberg Mayor Mal Forman said the council needed to "go cautiously".
Cr Forman said the council was still waiting to hear whether its application for Federal Government funding to build the evacuation centre had been successful.
"We need to wait and see what the final word from the government is and get the funding ticked off on it," Cr Forman said.
Division four representative Vince Habermann asked at the meeting whether more information was available on the funding.
"Whether we're foreseeing an abeyance or whether there's been any further word on that," Cr Habermann said.
Cr Forman said there was not.
"I believe it's happening very soon, that's all the information I can give you at this point in time," he said.
"Until I hear definitely from the Prime Minister, I can't go any further than that comment."
Economic development spokesman Greg Barnes rose from his chair to ask a question.
He sought to clarify the deadline for the council to hear the outcome of its funding application from the Federal Government.
"Wasn't today the deadline for this?" Cr Barnes said.
Cr Forman confirmed to Cr Barnes at the 10am ordinary meeting of council that the deadline was June 30.
"But it's not the close of business at this point in time and until we hear back, I think we need to go cautiously until we get the word back from them," Cr Forman said.
"We can't go forward on something we don't have confirmation on at this point."
Cr Barnes voted against Cr Forman's move to delay the call for tenders for construction.
Deputy Mayor David Batt, Division 3 Councillor Wayne Honor and Division 6 Councillor Danny Rowleson were not present at yesterday's meeting.