Children learn lighter lesson
AN AVOCA mother of six is urging others to always be mindful of cigarette lighters in the house after two of her young children started a fire, causing extensive damage to their home on Monday morning.
Amanda Davis was woken just before 4am by her children, who alerted her to the fire in one of the home's bedrooms.
"At first I tried to put it out myself," Ms Davis said.
"But it just took off so quickly."
Ms Davis said she got everyone out of the house before calling Queensland Fire and Rescue, who were quick to respond.
"Most of the fire damage was to the one room, but the majority of the house and everything inside was damaged by smoke, heat or water," she said.
Mrs Davis said it was terrible having to go back and sift through the damage, but it was a real wake-up call for the children.
"I don't think the kids realised just what they had done until they saw the damage," she said.
A Facebook auction site has been set up to raise money for the family, to help get them back on their feet.
Visit facebook.com/groups/457246887653034 to bid on items. Money raised will help the family.