Attacker walks free
A MAN who violently attacked a teenager without provocation just three days after he was released from jail has walked free from court.
Raymond George Kenneth Jenkins, 19, was sentenced to 14 months jail in June this year for smashing a stolen cane loader into the side of the Moore Park Service Station in January.
Jenkins had spent 140 days in custody for the ram raid and was released on immediate parole at his sentencing.
But three days later, on June 25, he approached a teenage boy at the Walla St skate park and told him he wanted to fight.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens told Bundaberg Magistrates Court the 15-year-old ignored Jenkins, who grabbed him and pulled him off a skate ramp.
“He punched the child about five times to the head and there appeared to be no provocation,” he said.
“He has a history of violence.
“He has a serious adult history, including a robbery whilst armed, which he got two years jail for.”
Defence lawyer Thomas Bray said Jenkins, who pleaded guilty to common assault, had been a ward of the state from the age of two and had spent a total of just two months out of jail since he turned 17.
“He has come into his adult years from a very, very dysfunctional living situation,” he said.
“He is somebody who is going to have very significant difficulties reintegrating into the community.”
Magistrate Jennifer Batts sentenced Jenkins to a 12-month intensive correctional order.
“I don’t think Jenkins is an unintelligent young man,” she said.
“I think he is capable of a lot more positive things than he has shown to date.”
Jenkins is also facing the reactivation of a sentence after breaching his parole.
He will face the parole board on September 1.