Leanne and Gary Pullen speaking out in Mackay yesterday about finding out a man who was involved in their son's death had his parole date approved.
Leanne and Gary Pullen speaking out in Mackay yesterday about finding out a man who was involved in their son's death had his parole date approved. Jacob Miley

CCC asked to look into why Pullen's parents were left in the dark

THE parents of slain Mackay man Timothy Pullen are once again in the political spotlight.

Shadow Minister for Corrective Services Tim Mander has written to the Crime and Corruption Commission, calling for an investigation into alleged "deliberate political interference" by Corrective Services Minister Mark Ryan and his office.

On Wednesday the family expressed their "disgust" at the actions of Mr Ryan, who they said had previously stood shoulder to shoulder in support of them as they became the face of the State's 'No Body No Parole' legislation.

They celebrated together when the legislation was adopted on August 9, the Pullens believing the new law would mean the whereabouts of their son's body would have to be revealed before those jailed in relation to his death could be given parole.

But standing alongside them, Mr Ryan already knew that one of the men jailed for Tim Pullen's manslaughter, Benjamin Francis Graeme Oakley, had, on July 31, already been approved for parole.

Mr Mander said he felt for what the family were going through, and supported their call for an investigation.

In his letter to the Crime and Corruption Commission on Thursday, Mr Mander wrote on behalf of the Pullen family:

"As you may appreciate, Mr and Mrs Pullen not only feel like they have been used as political pawns by two senior Ministers of the Palaszczuk Labor Government, but they also feel that the process whereby they should have received information as outlined under the Act, has been corrupted.

"On behalf of Mr and Mrs Pullen, I would respectfully ask the Crime and Corruption Commission to investigate whether there has been deliberate political interference in the process by the Minister for Corrective Services and or his office, whereby Mr and Mrs Pullen did not receive information they are required to receive about the release of Mr Benjamin Oakley."

Mr Mander wrote that Mr and Mrs Pullen were on the eligible persons register under the Corrective Services Act.

He said that they should then be informed when the prisoners were eligible to be released and the date of release.

Timothy Pullen was killed in North Mackay in 2012.

Six offenders were convicted in relation to his unlawful death.



NRL legend is set for his next chapter

premium_icon NRL legend is set for his next chapter

Thurston talks to the NewsMail about life after football

Controversial 1770 development decision spurs robust debate

premium_icon Controversial 1770 development decision spurs robust debate

Councillors vote to approve 1770 development despite reservations.

Local Partners