Carols stay on song
CHRISTMAS carol fans breathed a collective sigh of relief yesterday as organisers of the much-loved annual Carols by Candlelight announced the show would indeed go on.
The great showgrounds singalong was quite literally under a dark cloud on Wednesday, with continual rain raising doubts about whether the event could go ahead.
But organiser David Stretton said the clearing skies meant the carols extravaganza would be in full song tonight.
"They went out about 3am (yesterday) and started setting up the stage," he said.
The main concern with the carols had been whether the showgrounds would dry out in time for the stage and other equipment to be erected.
Despite the clearer weather, Mr Stretton did suggest carol goers should bring waterproof blankets or chairs just in case.
"It looks pretty dry now, but sitting on that grass could mean you might get wet sitting down for some time," he said.
Mr Stretton said the only difficulty the delay in setting up had posed was not having the same amount of time for sound checks.
As well as carolling, the evening will feature music from string quartet Quatro, Helen Burgess, Patrick Morris, Pete O'Brien and special guest performer Suzanne Clachair.
But all the talent on offer does not hold a candle to the reaction one guest will receive.
"I think Santa's arrival is always going to be a favourite," Mr Stretton said.
But, he said, the fireworks finale was also a favourite with children and adults.
Electric candles that change colour will be sold at the event for $2, along with programs containing all the lyrics, also for $2.
Gates for the event open at 4pm with the carols to start at 7pm.