Caravan saga at an end for Keith
AFTER more than two months of uncertainty, pensioner Keith List moved from Finemore Caravan Park yesterday with help from Bundaberg Regional Council.
In early December, the council gave Mr List until March 7 to move from the park which had been his home for almost 16 months, because he was not living in a permanent residency spot and no more places were available.
The maximum stay at a holiday site in a council-run park is 42 days.
But on Thursday afternoon, Mr List found a vacant site at a nearby caravan park and set about moving.
“It wasn’t easy to find a spot. The place I’m going to only has two spots, which were full two weeks ago, and there is one other spot in a park which is free,” Mr List said.
Prior to his leaving, the council had agreed to help Mr List move.
Yesterday, about 10am, council workers arrived with seven men and three trucks to take his van and possessions to the new site.
“I’m glad to be leaving here because I won’t have this hanging over my head,” he said.
Mr List said the new site was smaller but the showers and toilets were closer.
“They don’t allow for car bays so the vans will be closer together and I’ll have to park on the street,” he said.
Mr List had another two weeks to leave before eviction would be enforced.
Bundaberg Regional Council chief executive officer Peter Byrne said the move had taken between two and three hours.
“When we went to hook the caravan up it wasn’t safe, as it was rusted underneath, so we had to get a flatbed truck and load it onto that,” he said.
Mr Byrne described the move as “smooth”.
“As far as I’m aware Mr List is set up at his new site and happy,” he said.