Hope for an end to break-ins
BUSINESS owners are hoping that Bundaberg’s break-in binge will come to an end after police arrested a man yesterday.
The 17-year-old was charged with eight offences, including four charges relating to break-ins, two charges of stealing vehicles and two of stealing.
The charges were laid yesterday afternoon, after three more businesses were targeted overnight — taking the business break-in toll to at least 20 since January 6.
Reinforced glass doors saved Southside Liquor from becoming the latest business to lose stock and money, when thieves tried to smash their way into the shop in the early hours of yesterday.
WHILE the bandits could not force their way inside, the attack left shattered glass throughout the store and owner Michelle Nicholson said repair costs were starting to add up.
“It will be about $800 to fix,” Ms Nicholson said.
She said the timing of the incident only added to the frustration.
“It is so annoying.
“It always happens on a public holiday when it is more expensive to get the glass fixed,” she said.
Ms Nicholson said she was called about the damage by her security company at about 1.30am.
Since purchasing the business about eight-and-a-half years ago, Ms Nicholson said it had been broken into a “number of times”.
“Fortunately we do have a good camera system here, so, hopefully, police can catch them,” she said.
A second bottle shop on Goodwood Road, Thabeban, and a Bundaberg real estate agency were also attacked on Monday night.
Bundaberg Police Senior Constable Col McLean said the 17-year-old man would appear in Bundaberg Magistrates Court to face the string of charges.
But other people could still be charged over the recent crime spree.
“Investigations are ongoing in regards to property offences of a similar nature that have occurred recently,” Snr Const McLean said.
Up to six businesses have been hit in a night during the course of the crime spree, including schools, hotels, newsagencies and other bottle shops.