Court hears of man's threats

BUNDABERG Hospital was forced into lockdown twice in two days after a man made threatening phone calls that he would “wipe out” scores of people, a court was told.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Robyn Shapcott told Bundaberg Magistrates Court that Michael Grant Leroy, 48, called a patient liaison officer at the hospital at about 2.50pm on Wednesday, demanding to speak with the manager.

“He told the operator, ‘if I don’t get this call back, I’m going to wipe out 101 people at the hospital’,” she said.

Sgt Shapcott told the bail hearing that Leroy spoke with the same person about 11.50am the next day and said: “If there is no justice, I’ll bring my own.”

“He then told the person on the phone that he will meet her at lunch time,” she said.

The prosecutor said the patient liaison officer feared she would be one of the 101 people the man had threatened to kill, and the hospital was forced into lockdown again.

Sgt Shapcott told the court Leroy also called the NSW State Coroner’s counselling services and threatened a siege.

He later allegedly called Maryborough Disability Services and threatened to take hostages.

Sgt Shapcott said police attended Leroy’s house where they arrested him.

“When he was being transported he threatened to kill people, including the police,” she said.

“He said, ‘it would not be murder, it would be justified’.”

Sgt Shapcott said Leroy had been examined at the watchhouse and found to have no mental health issues.

He was charged with two counts of threatening violence, but was not required to enter a plea yesterday.

Defence lawyer Thomas Bray said Leroy had other matters that were waiting to be heard before the court and would be willing comply with bail restrictions.

Magistrate Jennifer Batts granted bail on the condition Leroy have no contact with the hospital or its employees, except if he needed emergency medical help or was at the hospital for a scheduled appointment.

She also ordered Leroy to continue to live in Kepnock and to report to police once a week. He will reappear at a later date.

Songbirds deliver the best of Broadway

Songbirds deliver the best of Broadway

Event includes champagne afternoon tea

'I didn't panic at all': Sydney man after floodwater rescue

'I didn't panic at all': Sydney man after floodwater rescue

Man says he's a bit disappointed there was no sign on the road

REVEALED: The secret inside Bundy's little black boxes

REVEALED: The secret inside Bundy's little black boxes

What is the device stuck on speed signs and street posts?

Local Partners