Jay Bogden, 21.
Jay Bogden, 21.

COLD CASE: Murder charge imminent in Whitsunday case

UPDATE:  POLICE say there likely will be more arrests made in the Jay Brogden case as they apply to extradite a man to face murder charges. 

Detectives from Queensland's homicide squad and Whitsunday CIB will apply for this man's extradition for the murder of Jay Brogden from 2007.

Detective Inspector Damien Hansen said there were witnesses who could now lay claim to the $250,000 reward into the cold case, noting an indemnity. 

"A prosecution will commence against a person involved and I suspect there will be further arrests," he said.

"This investigation is not finalised, this investigation will be continuing.

"We have a number of other suspects in relation to Jay's murder and I expect that there will be further charges.

"We will wait for matters to be finalised with NSW at this stage but we are making applications and have advised NSW.

"All I'll say is there are multiple suspects at this stage and that includes both for the murder and accessory after.

"It is before the court so I cannot disclose that."

Insp Damien Hansen said detectives had spoken to the Brogden family and they were "happy that they are finally getting some answers"

He said the family was aware this was an ongoing investigation.

"I'd like to thank the people who have provided us with information and encourage anyone who has any further information in relation to Jay's murder to contact police," he said.

"I'd also like to remind people that there is a $250,000 reward on offer. Part of that reward is that there is an indemnity from prosecution for any person who is not the principle offender.

"We have had numerous people come forward, it has corroborated evidence.

"We have had people directly involved in this group of persons come forward and give witness statements.

"You do see that people move from those groups and their loyalty to the individuals change over time and that helps us in these situations.

"Potentially there are witnesses that may claim the reward but that is a process."

Jay Brogden vanished in Cannonvale on April 21, 2007.
Jay Brogden vanished in Cannonvale on April 21, 2007.

EARLIER: QUEENSLAND police will apply to extradite a New South Wales man to face charges for the murder of Jay Brogden.

The Coffs Harbour man, 32, was a former resident of Airlie Beach. NSW police arrested the man in relation to other matters.

But detectives from the Homicide Group will apply for him to be extradited to Queensland in relation to Mr Brogden's suspected murder.

Jay Brogden was last seen at Cannonvale on Saturday April 21, 2007. A coroner's report in 2015 ruled he had most likely met with foul play.

His body has never been found but information received this year led homicide detectives to believe he was murdered.

Last week police extradited a Sydney man as part of a cold case investigation into the Mr Brogden's suspected homicide.

Earlier this month, police launched a billboard on the side of the highway at Cannonvale to encourage anyone with information regarding the homicide to contact police.



BRL crack down on spectator behaviour in A-grade

premium_icon BRL crack down on spectator behaviour in A-grade

Spectator suspended after one of the matches last weekend

Suspended jail term after mum leaves kids alone for night

premium_icon Suspended jail term after mum leaves kids alone for night

Police say mother of four's behaviour was 'abhorrent'

Coming soon: Who will make NewsMail's top 20 stylish people

premium_icon Coming soon: Who will make NewsMail's top 20 stylish people

Will clothing designer Lennee Graham feature on list