A toddler and his parents have been airlifted from Fraser Island after a dingo attack overnight.
A toddler and his parents have been airlifted from Fraser Island after a dingo attack overnight. RACQ LifeFlight Rescue

UPDATE: Future uncertain for dingoes after attack on toddler

UPDATE, 11AM: Attempts are being made to identify the dingoes involved in an attack on a 14-month-old boy on Fraser Island.

A spokesman from the Department of Environment and Science said no decisions had been made regarding whether the animals would be euthanised.

"Once further details are known, the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service will consider any other measures necessary to ensure visitor safety," he said.

Rangers are increasing patrols and visiting campsites to remind visitors to be dingo aware and remain vigilant at all times.

QPWS is investigating the incident.

To report negative dingo encounters, call 4127 9150.

UPDATE: The boy injured in a dingo attack on Fraser Island has been treated for a skull fracture.

The toddler was assessed at Hervey Bay Hospital about 3am this morning and treated for puncture wounds to his head and neck, as well as a skull fracture.

The 14-month-old has been airlifted to the Queensland Children's Hospital for additional paediatric and specialist support about 8.10am.

EARLIER, 7.20AM: A young boy's father fought off a dingo after the animal dragged the child from a camper van.

Details have emerged of a Fraser Island dingo attack on a 14-month-old boy overnight.

It's believed the dingo dragged the child from the camper van, where he had been sleeping with his parents.

The child's parents were woken by their son's cries, which were becoming more distant.

The father ran outside, to find the dingo had dragged his child some distance from the van.

The father fought off the dingo and succeeded in getting the child away.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) paramedic, based on the island, was the first to treat the child's injuries, until the arrival of the Bundaberg-based RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopter.

"If it wasn't for the parents fighting off the dingo, the boy would have had much more severe injuries," rescue helicopter pilot Frank Bertoli told media at the organisation's Bundaberg base this morning.

The helicopter was sent to the island at 12:40am.

The boy was airlifted in a stable condition to hospital.

His Brisbane-based family travelled with him in the RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopter.

This is the third attack on the island in recent months.

EARLIER, 3AM: A toddler has been pulled from a caravan on Fraser Island.

The Courier-Mail reports the 14-month-old's parents woke to the noise of the toddler being pulled from the caravan just before 12.30am on Friday.

The Chronicle understands the child was inside a caravan on Eurong Rd.

It is unknown how the toddler was freed, but it is believed the dingoes had held him by the head.

An emergency helicopter transported the boy to Hervey Bay Hospital in a stable condition, with a head injury.

More information to come.

Bundy fever clinic set to move, offering drive through testing

premium_icon Bundy fever clinic set to move, offering drive through...

A Wide Bay Hospital and Health Service spokesperson said the clinic would continue...

Man faces court after ‘aggressively’ reading bible at ALDI

premium_icon Man faces court after ‘aggressively’ reading bible at ALDI

The man said he was happy to stay in jail if he needed to

Opening hours for the Easter long weekend

premium_icon Opening hours for the Easter long weekend

If you need to hop to the store over the Easter long weekend check this list for...