A child appealing a sentence for 61 offences and a re-sentence of 14 offences has had his application dismissed in Queensland Children’s Court.
A child appealing a sentence for 61 offences and a re-sentence of 14 offences has had his application dismissed in Queensland Children’s Court.

Boy who broke into 15 homes says punishment is ‘excessive’

A CHILD who pleaded guilty to 61 charges in April and was re-sentenced for a further 14 charges has had his appeal dismissed in the Children's Court of Queensland.

The boy, 16, and co-offenders were responsible for a spree of break-ins around Gladstone between July 21 and August 21 in 2019 and again between January 5 and January 11, 2020.

There were 15 different private properties and 30 different motor vehicles broken into which resulted in nine charges of unlawful use of a motor vehicle plus other miscellaneous charges.

The boy had made full admissions to the police.

The boy was sentenced to a nine month order of detention to be served on conditional release order, 12 months probation and 60 hours community service.

The boy appealed the sentence in July this year on the basis it was "manifestly excessive."

At the time of the sentencing the boy had spent 124 days in custody, which his lawyer submitted on appeal that he should have been sentenced to 124 days detention as time already served.

On delivery on September 3 Judge Richards said the boy's offending was almost identical to previous offending for which he had been on probation and community service for at the time.

"The offending was prolific," Judge Richards said.

"He had little empathy or remorse for his offending.
"He did cooperate with the authorities and that is a matter to his credit but given the persistence of the offending, the volume of the offences and the fact that the Magistrate considered the conditional release order instead of further actual time in custody, in my view it was an appropriate sentence and should not be set aside."

Judge Richards ordered the application be dismissed.



REVEALED: The 29 projects on council’s advocacy list

Premium Content REVEALED: The 29 projects on council’s advocacy list

Ahead of the launch of the advocacy document, the NewsMail can reveal the...

ONE YEAR ON: State of play since decision to lower spillway

Premium Content ONE YEAR ON: State of play since decision to lower spillway

For North Burnett citrus growers, Hamish and Megan McDonald, the announcement...

Election race: Batt’s $200K promise for local club

Premium Content Election race: Batt’s $200K promise for local club

Batt announces $200,000 investment to upgrade the Bundaberg Race Club facilities...