Tick for hospitals, but patients don't know how to complain

PATIENTS at rural hospitals say they do not know how to provide feedback or make a complaint about the care they received despite saying they were pleased with their overall experience.

The anomaly was highlighted in the Small Hospitals Patient Experience Survey that asked patients about their experiences at Wide Bay Hospital and Health Service facilities.

The survey, released yesterday, found 72% of patients at Childers Hospital did not receive any information about how to provide feedback about the care they received.

Only 69% of patients said they were happy with the overall care they received, 93% said they were treated with respect during their stay and 72% were satisfied with the amount of information they received about their ailments.

Health department spokesman Michael Cleary said the survey provided valuable insights into patient experiences in small hospitals and multi-purpose health centres.

"Statewide results show that 97% of surveyed patients were satisfied with the care they received," he said.

"This is a good sign that our hospitals are largely meeting our communities' needs and expectations."

"The feedback will enable us maintain and improve our standards of service, with results helping to shape our future performance."

Dr Cleary said the high overall survey approval rates for Queensland's small hospitals and multi-purpose health centres were a credit to the health service.

"I'd like to thank all our staff because, without their dedication and commitment, we wouldn't be able to deliver the standard of services that we do," he said.

Gayndah Hospital patients praised doctors for explaining their health conditions in a way that alleviated any fears or concerns they had.

But those patients were not as kind when asked about the cleanliness of toilets and bathrooms with only 81% saying they were up to par.

Biggenden Hospital patients praised the cleanliness of the hospital's toilets and bathrooms with 93% of those surveyed saying they were excellent.

Patients at Gayndah also had more trust and confidence in the doctors treating them, with 90% saying they did compared to 84% of patients at Biggenden and 69% at Mundubbera.

In overall satisfaction Eidsvold placed second in the state, with 91% of patient's surveyed rating the hospital as very good and the remaining 9% rating it as good.

In Biggenden, 94% of patients surveyed said they were always treated with respect and dignity.

Hospitals have received individual facility reports and are reviewing their results to identify areas for improvement.

Man, 57, injured after hit and run in Bundy

Man, 57, injured after hit and run in Bundy

Did you see anything on Saturday morning?

MAJOR UPDATE: $60m+ of illegal tobacco found in Bundy

MAJOR UPDATE: $60m+ of illegal tobacco found in Bundy

Bundaberg farmland used to grow illegal crops

CRACKDOWN: Snap audits on aged care

CRACKDOWN: Snap audits on aged care

"Every senior Australian deserves to be treated with dignity."

Local Partners