Killer driver back on the road despite disqualification

A MAN once jailed for dangerous driving causing death has faced court for again flouting road rules.

Michael Paul Steley made the decision to drive while disqualified, despite knowing he was not allowed to.

The 45-year-old had been given an absolute disqualification after he was sentenced for causing a fatal traffic crash that killed a 23-year-old Cannon Valley woman in October 2005.

Nicole Martin was driving along Strathdickie Rd when her vehicle and another collided about 3.15pm on October 15 that year. She was flown to Townsville Hospital but died as a result of her injuries the next day.

The driver of the other vehicle, Steley, was also flown to Townsville in critical condition.

Steley, formerly of Proserpine, was charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death while adversely affected by alcohol. He was sentenced to five years jail in the Bowen District Court in 2007.

Steley, who now lives in Mackay, has been on a disability pension since 2005.

Steley pleaded guilty in the Mackay Magistrates Court yesterday to driving while disqualified.

Duty solicitor Perian Cardiff, of Wallace and Wallace, said Steley was unaware he had to make an application to the court to remove an absolute disqualification.

Police had intercepted a four-wheel drive vehicle about 10.40pm in George St on November 1 this year.

Ms Cardiff said he'd been left at an unknown person's house in Burgess St by a friend and needed to get home, so he made the decision to drive.

He was trying to get away from an "unfriendly situation", Ms Cardiff said.

Steley was fined $1250 and disqualified from driving for two years.

Magistrate Damien Dwyer said Steley would still need to apply to have the absolute disqualification removed after the two years.



FISHING REPORT: Fish-a-plenty around the region

Premium Content FISHING REPORT: Fish-a-plenty around the region

Find out where this fish are biting around the region this week.

Fears for wildlife population as island continues to burn

Premium Content Fears for wildlife population as island continues to burn

‘An awful lot of animals would have perished’

REVEALED: How Agnes Fest will spend $25k funding boost

Premium Content REVEALED: How Agnes Fest will spend $25k funding boost

“We’ll have this whole other area where artists would perform.”