Former Olive Branch bar and restaurant owner Jason Matthew Wood.
Former Olive Branch bar and restaurant owner Jason Matthew Wood. Kevin Farmer

Two years on, accused cocaine trafficker still before court

COCAINE trafficking charges against a former Toowoomba restaurant owner have been adjourned again in a city court.

Jason Matthew Wood was not in Toowoomba Magistrates Court yesterday when charges of trafficking, supplying and possessing dangerous drugs were mentioned.

The 36-year-old former owner the Olive Branch bar and restaurant in Ruthven St was first charged in January 2015 and the case has been proceeding through the courts ever since.

His solicitor Chris Lumme (of Toowoomba legal firm Anderson Fredericks Turner) told the court his firm had only come into the case in December last year after Legal Aid Queensland withdrew representation when his client obtained employment in Western Australia.

Mr Lumme said his client returned to Queensland just one week a month from his work in Western Australia but he had a conference booked with his client for Monday next week and asked for an adjournment to March 13 when his client would be in Toowoomba and could attend court.

Mr Lumme said the case file was "extremely large" and that he was still working through the brief of evidence.

He said through negotiations with the prosecution some of trafficking drugs charges had been replaced by charges of possession of dangerous drugs.

Magistrate Kay Ryan excused Wood's appearance at court and remanded the 36-year-old on bail to appear back in the same court for committal mention on all charges on March 13.
 



Man builds mobile showers for city's homeless

premium_icon Man builds mobile showers for city's homeless

Lions step in to help Bundy homeless

MYTH BUSTED: Bundy police squash violent robbery rumours

premium_icon MYTH BUSTED: Bundy police squash violent robbery rumours

Rumours of violent break-ins have run rife through the region lately

Local Partners