Man shocked when changing light bulb at high school

THERE was no need for a morning coffee for one man yesterday morning who got a bit of a shock after trying to change a light bulb at a local high school.

It is believed the man, aged in his 40s, was at Toolooa State High School conducting routine maintenance when he got the zap from the electrical outlet.

The Gladstone Ambulance Service was called to the scene at 6.44am; the man was taken to the Gladstone Hospital.

He was reportedly in a stable condition and had no major injuries.

Despite being anxious and in shock, the man was released from hospital at 8.30am in good health.

Staff at the Gladstone Hospital said the man underwent a routine check, which was part of workplace health and safety requirements.

Toolooa State High School was contacted for comment on the incident but did not return our phone call.

The standard voltage for power outlets in Australia is 230V and is just under the threshold 240V most power outlets can reach.

For anyone who has been caught out in a similar situation, they will know full well that the shock from a power outlet can be enough to knock you on your back and leave you feeling jittery and skittish.

Have you had any shocking experiences? Tell us about it: Email declan.cooley@gladstoneobserver.com.au.



Bundy drinks announce 'special brew' to mark 50 years

premium_icon Bundy drinks announce 'special brew' to mark 50 years

Clive's "special brew” will be revealed at the gala event

Wide Bay to get gov funding for local employment trials

premium_icon Wide Bay to get gov funding for local employment trials

The region is one of 10 selected across Australia

Get free coffee all week long at Bundy store

premium_icon Get free coffee all week long at Bundy store

Need coffee? How about a free one?

Local Partners