MON Repos turtle rookery was on track for a record number of visitors in the 2012/13 season before ex-tropical cyclone Oswald played havoc with the beach, forcing the early closure of the popular tourist destination.
But turtle patrols will resume for the 2013/14 season as rangers at Mon Repos Conservation Park prepare for what they hope will be a successful season.
Ranger-in-charge Cathy Gatley said the first turtle tours would begin on Saturday, November 9, with bookings already under way and early signs looking positive.
"Bookings have been open since September," she said.
"Hopefully visitors who planned to come last year but couldn't because we closed early will be back this year.
"We haven't had a turtle yet but it could be any day now so we will start pre-patrols to look out for them."
Strong storm surges and high tides in January left Mon Repos beach battered and 8 covered in debris and Ms Gatley said rangers and volunteers were really looking forward to the start of this season.
"There is still some erosion to the dunes but we've been working to break down the edge to make sure the turtles can get over and nest," she said
"Our volunteer training will commence over the next week and everyone is really keen."
Ms Gatley said the beginning of the season was a timely reminder for residents in the coastal communities to "Cut the Glow" by turning off non-essential lights to help prevent turtles becoming disorientated.
Once again the turtle 8 research team headed by Dr Col Limpus will return in 8 December to record each turtle as they come ashore.
To book your turtle encounter visit www.bookbundabergregion.com.au or phone the Bundaberg Information Centre on 4153. 0000.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.