News

The photo deemed too controversial for an art festival

Visually impaired artist Dennis Mealor is outraged his artwork was removed from the Bundaberg Arts Festival because it portrays a nude woman.
Visually impaired artist Dennis Mealor is outraged his artwork was removed from the Bundaberg Arts Festival because it portrays a nude woman.

A VISION-IMPAIRED artist feels his "wings have been clipped" after his photographic entry of a naked, mature-aged woman was withdrawn from the Bundaberg Arts Festival for being too controversial.

Visually impaired artist Dennis Mealor is outraged his artwork was removed from the Bundaberg Arts Festival because it portrays a nude woman.
Visually impaired artist Dennis Mealor is outraged his artwork was removed from the Bundaberg Arts Festival because it portrays a nude woman.

"The model turned up as well to see herself and it wasn't there," he said.

Mr Mealor approached the Bundaberg Arts Festival Association President, Wendy Francis, who told him the full-frontal nudity displayed in the photo was inappropriate and the committee decided to withdraw the piece.

"I think the committee was wrong in this case," he said.

The photo in question, titled Viva Italia, after model Cara Clarke's Italian heritage, featured the naked woman standing in a doorway at the Artist in Residence room at the Bundaberg Regional Art Gallery.

"Twenty five years ago I was going to the Arts Festival and there were full-frontal photos then; they were done by a neighbour of mine," Mr Mealor said.

"It blew my socks off when they withdrew it."

The shocked artist said he did not understand why he had not been told before the festival opening why his work had been pulled.

"Nudity in art has been here for thousands of years," he said.

"Every legitimate art gallery in Australia would be fine with it."

Mr Mealor said it was a disappointing end to what is looking to be his last Bundaberg Arts Festival.

"I'm planning on leaving Bundaberg at some point and now it's kind of not really a good ending," he said.

Mrs Francis told the NewsMail she would not comment on the incident because she felt there had not been enough media coverage given to the weekend's festival.

The NewsMail is one of the Crush Festival's sponsors.

"We have the right to withdraw any piece entered," she said.

"Dennis was given a full explanation."

Topics:  art, bundaberg arts festival, photography



Man could be locked out of driving his own car

INTERLOCKED: Maurice Stanley needs his interlock device removed but may have to wait past the due date, which will mean his car won't start.

No one available to remove alcohol interlock device

UPDATE: Backpacker tax 'victory for common sense'

TAX SCRAPPED: Hinkler MP and assistant minister to the deputy prime minister, Keith Pitt.

"We hope the uptake is just as quick to spread the good message,”

Meteorite in Bundy's skies at least as big as a basketball

Lonnie Smilas, from the Alloway Observatory, is over the moon with their new telescope. Photo: Scottie Simmonds obs1406a

Expert explains why light was so bright

Local Partners

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber split

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber have split after 11 years together.

Why Chris Hemsworth was spotted wearing nail polish

RED CARPET: Do you think Chris Hemsworth is the typical unpolished but well-natured Aussie bloke?

He's now officially the best bloke in Australia

Testament's new album is a concept album

ROME, ITALY- JULY 27, 2016: Testament photographed at The Roman Collisseium in Rome, Italy on July 27,2016. Gene Ambo

Testament to release new album

'Baby' recreates famous Nirvana cover shot 25 years later

The baby from Nevermind album has recreated the iconic cover shot.

PREVIEW: Luke Cage origin story is a strong addition to MCU

Mike Colter in a scene from the TV series Marvel's Luke Cage.

MIKE Colter stars as latest Marvel superhero to get his own series.

Kate goes down fighting in heated Survivor elimination

Australian Survivor contestant Kate Campbell.

YOGA teacher's 'good guys' alliance fails to get off the ground.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

Couple build their own 'tiny house' for $45k

Holly Bowen and Oli Bucher built their "tiny house" themselves, only hiring a plumber and an electrician. Photo/supplied

The house, which is built on a trailer and can be towed.