WITH the Easter holiday upon us, it's easy to get wrapped-up in decadent festivities.
But Greencross Vets are urging pet owners to be mindful of their furry friends during the sweet season.
Animals such as dogs, cats, parrots and horses cannot effectively metabolise chocolate the way humans can because of chemicals it contains.
Subsequently, Greencross Vets on Barolin St see many cases of toxicity during Easter time.
Tips to ensure your pets stay protected:
- Keep all chocolate, cookies, sweets and tin foil out of reach of pets.
- If you're taking your pet away on a family holiday, ensure they aren't free to wander in areas where they'll likely encounter danger, such as ticks, toads, or rat bait.
- Don't forget to update your pet's microchip and contact details in case they sneak away during the holiday havoc.
If your dog consumes chocolate or encounters another animal or item you fear may be dangerous, take them to your local Greencross Vet clinic ASAP.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.