News

Telstra fails to answer business’s call for help

FRUSTRATED: Bundaberg Wholesale Palms and Plants owner Steve Pratt is furious at the lack of assistance he has received from Telstra to fix ongoing phone issues and says the problem has cost his business thousands of dollars. Photo: Max Fleet / NewsMail
FRUSTRATED: Bundaberg Wholesale Palms and Plants owner Steve Pratt is furious at the lack of assistance he has received from Telstra to fix ongoing phone issues and says the problem has cost his business thousands of dollars. Photo: Max Fleet / NewsMail Max Fleet

IN THE 21st century conducting a business without phone coverage, internet or eftpos is impossible and following months of ongoing issues, a Bundaberg business estimates it's cost them close to $70,000 in sales.

Disgruntled Telstra business customer and Bundaberg Wholesale Palms and Plants owner Steve Pratt said the business first experienced issues with its six-line phone system in February and since then has struggled with noisy lines, phones that drop out and coverage limited to just a meter within the office area.

Mr Pratt said despite paying a fee to receive priority assistance, the service from Telstra to address the problems had been anything but helpful.

Issues began in February when the business lost all landlines, internet and eftpos for four days; however a claim for $8000 in compensation for losses was refused because the reporting of the problem coincided with a cyclone warning.

"The system was brought in June or July last year and we had full range until February 18," Mr Pratt said.

"On the 19th we lost everything, we reported it to Telstra and they said it would take up to three weeks to fix.

"You can imagine a six-line phone system trying to divert through one mobile."

Mr Pratt said they needed the problem fixed immediately so opted to install a wireless internet system and later applied for compensation.

"They came back to us and said they declared us in a cyclone area," he said.

"We reported it two days prior to the cyclone crossing. It had nothing to do with the cyclone."

Mr Pratt said it still took two weeks to get their landlines back but in March the landlines had more problems which ranged from lines dropping out to noise in the background and no coverage for more than a meter from the office.

For a large site where the ability to quote prices to customers while moving around the plants and landscaping supplies was essential, Mr Pratt said customers went elsewhere thinking they'd been hung up on, while others could get through at all.

"I'd estimate it's cost us about $70,000," he said.

"I know one landscaper was looking to spend $3000 to $4000 on pavers but he couldn't get through so he went elsewhere."

"We pay a bill of about $2500 to $3000 a month and the service we've received has been shocking."

Mr Pratt said after weeks waiting for new handsets, only to discover it wasn't the problem, a faulty aerial was finally identified as the major issue and a temporary system was just installed yesterday, which appears to have finally addressed the problems.

The NewsMail contacted Telstra and a spokesman said a mass service disruption occurred in this customer's area following the extreme weather events caused by ex-Tropical Cyclone Marcia, which caused widespread damage and impacted services as far away as Bundaberg.

"Unfortunately, extreme weather conditions or instances beyond our control cause sometimes damage our facilities, meaning our ability to connect or fix faults is delayed beyond our usual timeframes," he said.

"During these times a mass service disruption exemption may be requested and put in place, permitting Telstra extra time to respond to and resolve the issues under certain circumstances that fall outside of the customer service guarantee performance standards for the duration of the disruption.

"We have investigated this customer's case and, while there are no records of any outstanding faults, we will contact him directly to discuss."

Topics:  eftpos, internet, telstra




Man taken to hospital after motorcycle crash

OFF ROAD: A motorcyclist was injured in an easement off Maike St Kalkie.

Man crashes motorbike in easement.

Is Elliott Heads the next Byron Bay?

Could Elliott Heads be the next Byron or Noosa?

How could they do this to someone who tried to help them?

JUNKIE SCUM DOG: Ross Newmann is disappointed with the graffiti sprayed on his Bargara Rd rental property.

Man devastated following graffiti attack

Latest deals and offers

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Police foiled terrifying 1m plot to kidnap Katie Price

Police foiled a £1 million plot to kidnap Katie Price and her family

Kristen Bell's baby confession

Kristen Bell once pretended to be asleep when her baby woke up early

Babylon 5's Jerry Doyle has died

Jerry Doyle has died from unknown causes at the age of 60

Is Elliott Heads the next Byron Bay?

Could Elliott Heads be the next Byron or Noosa?

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley