News

Student out of school after complaint

SCHOOL DRAMA: Nicholas Sirett and his mum Maryanne Sirett search for a new school in Bundaberg after learning that Nicholas' enrolment at St Luke*s Anglican School will be terminated at the end of the year. Photo: Max Fleet / NewsMail
SCHOOL DRAMA: Nicholas Sirett and his mum Maryanne Sirett search for a new school in Bundaberg after learning that Nicholas' enrolment at St Luke*s Anglican School will be terminated at the end of the year. Photo: Max Fleet / NewsMail Max Fleet

A BUNDABERG mum is reeling after her son's enrolment at St Luke's Anglican School was cancelled following her decision to publicly air her concerns about his missing out on a Japanese trip.

Maryanne Sirett came to the NewsMail this week believing son Nicholas, 16, was discriminated against after he was not selected to take part in a school trip to Japan next year.

Since then, the school has cited a "breach of trust" for its decision to cancel Nicholas's enrolment at the end of the year.

"The principal phoned me on Thursday and said he'd received a call from the NewsMail," Mrs Sirett said.

"He asked if I would be enrolling Nicholas next year. When I said I wasn't sure, he said, 'I wouldn't be', because they were cancelling his enrolment because it was a 'breach of trust'."

Mrs Sirett said she felt let down by the school, which did not select Nicholas for the Japan trip despite him winning the Principal's Award for Japanese this year.

"The school is sending 10 football players, which leaves only 14 places for language students," she said.

"I am behind in my fees because my finances mean I can only pay at the end and beginning of the year, but I always bring them up to date.

"It seems like they value sporting students more than academic students and the fees are just a convenient excuse."

St Luke's principal Martin Oates said the decision to cancel the enrolment was due to a breakdown in the mutual trust and co-operation between the school and the family.

"Nicholas is on a waiting list for the trip, as are nine other students," he said.

"I wonder if the other nine students feel discriminated against.

"We had a selection criteria, which we referred to when selecting the students."

Mr Oates said several things were taken into consideration for the trip, including school results, whether fees were up to date and whether or not a deposit for the trip had been paid.

"We are hurt by the claim as we have tried to be fair," he said.

"The enrolment contract states that there needs to be a good and trusting relationship between the family and the school.

"If Mrs Sirett feels that we discriminate against her son, why would she want him to stay at the school?"



Nine males, one female; divers watch turtles get frisky

Mating season ends this month.

One female, nine males, this is all part of nature for turtles

Unlike: the Facebook scam targeting Bundy businesses

ALARM BELLS: Cool Bananas co-owner Sharlene Gemming managed to avoid the phishing trap. Photo: Eliza Goetze / NewsMail

Scammers are targetting local cafes on Facebook

Local Partners

Daniel Radcliffe hoped for haircut anonymity

Radcliffe thought shaving his head would make him more anonymous

Jim Carrey slams 'shameful greed' of lawsuit

Jim Carrey has slammed the "shameful greed" of White's ex-husband.

'Highly unlikely' Brad Pitt will face prosecution

It is highly unlikely that Brad Pitt will be prosecuted

WATCH: Justin Bieber grabbed in Germany

A video has emerged of singer Justin Bieber being attacked

Why The Wrong Girl is right for Jessica Marais

Jessica Marais and Ian Meadows in a scene from the TV series The Wrong Girl.

ACTOR makes the sometimes awkward character her own in new comedy.

What's on the small screen this week

Jessica Marais in a scene from the TV series The Wrong Girl.

A NEW romantic comedy debuts while footy codes ramp up for finals.

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

Couple build their own 'tiny house' for $45k

Holly Bowen and Oli Bucher built their "tiny house" themselves, only hiring a plumber and an electrician. Photo/supplied

The house, which is built on a trailer and can be towed.

Rocky proves prime real estate in latest REIQ report

Kas Woch sold this Wood St home in Depot Hill for $107,000 in August.

A new investor's market as Rocky house prices hit lowest in state