News

Sex tape blackmailer pleads guilty

A BUNDABERG man, who secretly filmed himself having a sex with a woman and later sent her video messages of the encounter, told a court he filmed the private act to use against her if their relationship ever turned sour.

The 26-year-old Svensson Heights man sent the woman a series of text messages earlier this month containing snippets of their sexual encounter, which happened at his home in March.

The man, who cannot be identified due to a suppression order put in place to protect his victim, pleaded guilty in Bundaberg Magistrates Court on Friday to making recordings in breach of privacy and using a carriage service to menace.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens said the distraught woman arrived at the Bundaberg Police Station on Easter Sunday, April 8, after receiving a series of video texts from the man.

"The videos were of the complainant and the defendant involved in intimate sexual activity," Sgt Stevens said.

When interviewed, the man told police that after getting the woman to agree to have sex with him, he went into his bedroom and hid his phone in a cupboard pointed at the bed with the video recording switched on.

"She only became aware the activity had been recorded after receiving the text message," Sgt Stevens said.

"He said he kept the recordings so he had something to hold over the informant if she ever aggrieved him in some way in the future.

"She found this very distressing."

The 26-year-old told police he ended up sending the messages to get the woman's attention after she ignored him for a period of time.

"He said she wasn't taking his feelings for her seriously," Sgt Stevens said.

"To his credit, he hasn't distributed this to other people that we know of but there is a sinister overtone that he was emotionally blackmailing the victim.

"This is a gross invasion of privacy."

Lawyer Mary Buchanan appeared for the man and said he regretted his actions.

"He accepts it was a vengeful, stupid act and he told me this morning he felt like an idiot being here," Ms Buchanan said.

"He said he is very embarrassed to be here."

Ms Buchanan said the father-of-two had had to take some time off work, but was planning to start work interstate later this month.

Magistrate Jennifer Batts adjourned the man's sentence to May 14.

Topics:  bundaberg, sex tape




Man struck by car in South Bundaberg

Man hospitalised with minor injuries

Woman killed in Bruce Hwy horror truck crash

One woman is dead and another seriously injured after an accident on the Bruce Hwy north of Gootchie.

Bundaberg group watch fatal accident unfold

Latest deals and offers

What's on the small screen this week

MasterChef Australia's final four contestants, from left, Harry Foster, Elena Duggan, Elise Franciskovic and Matt Sinclair.

MASTERCHEF makes way for The Bachelor on Ten's reality TV slate.

Guy Sebastian a hit at Splendour in the Grass

Guy Sebastian performs at Splendour in the Grass with Paces.

REALITY TV judge a hit with festival crowd.

Superheroes of the big screen enjoy sounds of Splendour

CHRIS Hemsworth and his Avengers mates drop by Byron festival.

Indigenous artist shows tourists secrets of Aboriginal painting

Ever thought "I could do that" about Aboriginal art?

Dynamic pics from Splendour Day 1

The Strokes perform at Splendour in the Grass 2016. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

Check out the latest pictures from Splendour in the Grass.

Bindi Irwin: 18 magic photos to mark her 18th birthday

Bindi Irwin with a python.

Photos: Bindi Irwin from babyhood to 18

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles