News

New fire HQ in State Budget

The Bundaberg Fire and Rescue Service Station will have a new home after funding was announced in the State Budget for a new building.
The Bundaberg Fire and Rescue Service Station will have a new home after funding was announced in the State Budget for a new building. Zach Hogg BUN030614FRE1

AFTER more than 50 years of responding to call-outs from their Woongarra St base, the Bundaberg Queensland Fire and Emergency Service is set to have a new home.

Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls announced $1 million had been set aside in the 2014-15 State Budget for the new $5.1 million state-of-the-art fire station, expected to be completed by 2016.

It forms part of the $35.36 million of new funds allocated to Bundaberg for the next financial year.

Member for Bundaberg and Community Safety Minister Jack Dempsey said the first $1 million would go towards securing a piece of land for the new fire station, expected to be a rectangular block along Verdant Siding Rd, off Goodwood Rd.

"It's an improved facility to meet the future growth needs of Bundaberg," he said.

Mr Dempsey said at this stage the government was considering a coexist model, whereby the new ambulance station - which has been allocated $500,000 this budget - would be housed on the same block.

"They still might be standalone facilities on the one site," he said.

He said an upgraded facility was something firefighters had been campaigning for.

"The beauty of it is both the ambulance and fire stations will be well and truly high and dry," he said.

"We've tested the response time frames and that fits in perfectly with the location."

Mr Dempsey said other budget highlights for Bundaberg was the Safe Night Out Strategy to address alcohol-fuelled violence.

"Bundaberg is recognised as a safe night out precinct and we'll be receiving some of the $44.5 million announced for the state," he said.

He also highlighted that there were no new taxes introduced and concessions had gone up 9%.

"We were severely let down by the Federal Government in relation to the $50 million cut from its budget," he said.

"While the Federal Government's concessions have decreased, the state's have increased."

Mr Nicholls said this year's budget included a capital spend of almost $720 million in the Wide Bay region.

"More than $250 million is being provided for local government recovery and reconstruction projects in partnership with the Federal Government," he said.




Latest deals and offers

Pokemon Go: "Trading" on the horizon as game evolves

No Caption

Pokemon GO players will soon be able to trade with other trainers

Bindi Irwin: ‘I’ve lived 10 lives in one lifetime’

Bindi meets her fans.

SHE'S just turns 18 but Bindi's life has been full of experiences

Rockhampton cook through to MasterChef semi-final

FAMILY:MasterChef semi-finalist Harry Foster pictured with his mum Ria McClelland.

Harry Foster through to MasterChef semi-finals.

Pop icon and former Neighbours star buys into Byron

Singer Natalie Imbruglia. Supplied by Sony Music Australia.

Former actor turned pop singer joins Byron celebrity rush.

MASTERCHEF: Coast cooks to dominate finals

SO CLOSE: MasterChef's final four, from left, Matt Sinclair, Elise Franciskovic, Harry Foster and Elena Duggan. Elise’s elimination means now only the three Sunshine Coast contestants remain in the competition.

MasterChef finals will be mandatory viewing in three Coast homes

The best and worst bits of Splendour from our experts

The Amphitheatre received Flume with open arms and danced to his music on Sunday night.

Glitter, fake marriages, see-through clothing and gorgeous weather

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles