Lifestyle

Molly the dog lucky to be alive after eating kinetic sand

Molly had to undergo surgery after eating some kinetic sand.
Molly had to undergo surgery after eating some kinetic sand.

A DOG owner is warning others to be vigilant after some kinetic sand almost cost the life of her beloved dog, Molly. 

Kinetic sand, which contains a bonding agent to make the sand stick to itself, has become a popular toy and is widely available in stores and online. 

Belinda O'Shea said she kept her five-year-old son Archie's kinetic sand in a sealed container and hadn't expected that while they were out, nine-year-old Molly would get into the tub and eat its contents. 

Molly recovering in vet hospital.
Molly recovering in vet hospital.

But one day the family found Molly, a staffordshire terrier, had done just that. 

At first seeming fine, it was only when the much-loved pet had gone off her food and started vomiting that the family realised something wasn't right. 

"An x-ray found her intestines were blocked up with something, so then they left her there overnight on the drip" she said. 

"Whatever was in her wasn't coming out."

Mrs O'Shea said her vet figured out the properties of the kinetic sand were causing it to reshape every time Molly's body tried to remove it, meaning the pooch would have to undergo emergency surgery. 

"They basically had to squeeze it out of her intestines," she said. 

While Mrs O'Shea, from Melbourne, had to part with $3000 to save her pet's life, her biggest concern was raising awareness about the dangers of kinetic sand. 

"Dogs do silly things but I want people to know to be really careful," she said. 

 "I just want people to be really careful if their dogs get into it and to get them to a vet if they do, or keep it away from them."

Mrs O'Shea said she had contacted the makers of the kinetic sand to warn them about what had happened.

"I emailed the company and let them know and they said they'd possibly look at changing the warnings," she said. 

Mrs O'Shea's vet Bob Cavey, from Ultmate vet Clinic in Narre Warren, said though he'd seen items including knitting needles and plumbing pipes in dogs' bellies before he'd never encountered anything like the kinetic sand. 

"I've been doing this for 25 years and I've never seen this," he said. 

"The stomach just can't push it through.

"I had to milk the stomach and push the kinetic sand through, it took about two hours."

Mr Cavey said Molly had lost a lot of weight over a couple of days and her body had started to shut down. 

"This dog that ate it lost a lot of weight over a few days," he said. 

Mr Cavey said dog owners should be vigilant, and parents too. 

"If it's blocked up a dog then you'd have to watch your children very carefully that they're not ingesting any of it," he said. 

Mrs O'Shea and her son Archie have thrown out their kinetic sand and won't be buying more any time soon. 

Topics:  dogs, editors picks, pets, toys




Bullying shame: 'There were five girls on one'

BULLYING: Rhiannon Dale witnessed a group of bullies picking on a girl at the railway pedestrian bridge off McLean Street.

If you saw a person being bashed would you stop to help?

Court hears Korean money exchange ended in shallow grave

Min Tae Kim was found buried in a shallow grave

Work begins on new $31 million Bundaberg shopping complex

The new neighbourhood shopping centre, to be known as Stockland Kensington, will occupy approximately 3ha of land south of Sugarland Shoppingtown, with access off Takalvan St. WORK BEGINS: An artist impression of the new Stockland Kensington, which is being developed on the site of the  former Bunnings Warehouse off Takalvan St.Photo Contributed

10 new specialty shops included in shopping complex

Latest deals and offers

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

Three reasons your mind will be blown this week

Alan Dale and Jacki Weaver in a scene from the TV series Secret City.

THREE shows on Foxtel to make your mind boggle.

Elena wins MasterChef: “I’m ecstatic and eager to celebrate"

MasterChef Australia 2016 winner Elena Duggan, from Noosa.

NOOSA chefs survive marathon grand final dish by Heston Blumenthal.

Shannen Doherty shaves hair during cancer battle

Shannen Doherty has completely shaved off her hair

Brian McFadden makes daughters pay for own Christmas gifts

McFadden makes his daughters pay for half their presents

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles