A NEW survey claiming that one in three victims of domestic violence in Australia is male was no surprise to the Salvation Army Bundaberg's corps officer Major Kevin Unicomb.
But a spokesman for the Bundaberg police said the figure was much too high.
The survey was released last week by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
The ABS Personal Safety Survey 2012 collected information from men and women aged 18 years and over about their experience of violence since the age of 15.
"The survey found that one in three victims of current partner violence during the past 12 months (33.3%) and since the age of 15 (33.5%) were male," said Greg Andresen, senior researcher with the One in Three Campaign.
The organisation was established in 2009 to raise public awareness of the existence and needs of male victims of family violence and abuse.
Maj Unicomb said the Salvation Army provided support to men who were abused.
"We have a couple of people who go to the courthouse to support men involved in domestic violence," he said.
"It's one of those things where everyone is focused on women."
Maj Unicomb said the Salvation Army officers at the court were given the resources to support men.
"It's fairly common," he said.
"I think a lot of men cop the abuse and just take it.
"The assumption is that it's women who suffer, but that's not always the case."
Maj Unicomb said usually women who were involved in domestic violence abuse could go to one of the refuges in the city.
But Bundaberg Police Family Violence co-ordinator Sergeant Ken Hendrie said he felt the ABS figures were way too high
"I doubt that very much," he said.
"It's certainly predominantly female victims." Sgt Hendrie said there were 19 domestic violence complaints in the Wide Bay district on Christmas Day.
From Christmas Eve until Friday afternoon there had been a total of 37.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.