News

Mother tells how violent death tore her family apart

PORTRAIT: A photo of Caine Hammond. Photo: contributed
PORTRAIT: A photo of Caine Hammond. Photo: contributed contributed

A 25-YEAR-OLD man has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Caine Hammond, 28, after a jury was unable to reach a verdict following the murder trial into his death.

The six male six female jury was dismissed shortly after 11am this morning when they failed to reach a unanimous decision on day eight of the trial.

Lucas John Scot Bell pleaded guilty to unlawfully killing Mr Hammond in the kitchen of Bell's parent's home at Euleilah on April 27, 2012 after an argument and scuffle between the pair escalated.

The court heard during an incident in the kitchen, the medical evidence indicated it was when Bell lifted Mr Hammond up and he fell onto the cement floor or when Bell punched Hammond while he lay on the floor that resulted in Mr Hammond sustaining a subdural hematoma.

Mr Hammond failed to regain consciousness and died two days later in hospital.

Mr Hammond's mother Sandra Prickett sat with three of her sons throughout the sentencing and was clearly upset by the six year sentence handed to Bell.

"You murdered my son," she yelled at Bell as she left the court room.

PORTRAIT: A photo of Sandra Pricket, Caine Hammond and his brother Sam. Photo: contributed
PORTRAIT: A photo of Sandra Pricket, Caine Hammond and his brother Sam. Photo: contributed contributed

Mrs Prickett spoke to the NewsMail as she left the Bundaberg Supreme Court and remembered a son who was kind, loving and always there for his family.

"He didn't deserve to die like that, on a dirty kitchen floor surrounded by strangers," she said.

"He wasn't perfect but he was the perfect son to me."

Mr Hammond had found out on the Monday prior to his death that he had been accepted to start a boiler maker apprenticeship.

"He was turning his life around," Mrs Prickett said.

Mrs Prickett said her son's death had devastated her family, she'd since struggled with depression, had lost her home and was unable to care for her wheelchair bound son Sam.

"I don't sleep more than three hours a night," she said.

"Caine used to help me look after Sammy.

"Sammy is living with strangers now because I can't look after him without Caine's help."

In sentencing Bell, Justice Duncan McMeekin said that in every sense it was a tragedy and that before the lead up and incident that ended Mr Hammond's life, the victim and the defendant had been friends until an explosion of anger and violence resulted in death.

"Any sentence will serve inadequate for a human life," he said.

"The family will feel their loss has not been vindicated."

Bell will be eligible for parole on September 17, 2015.

Topics:  bell, bundaberg court




UPDATE: House burnt to ground

The house fire in Givelda.Photo Contributed

Emergency crews rush to house fire

Neighbour's car strikes woman

A person has been hit by a car in Thebeban

Journey through time at the East Bundaberg Water Tower

ARCHITECTURAL DELIGHTS: Mayor Jack Dempsey discovers a little bit of Bundaberg History in the East Bundaberg Water Tower.

Open House event to be held on September 3-4

Latest deals and offers

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Isla Fisher: I don't like talking about my private life

Isla Fisher shut down TV hosts when they asked about her husband

Mariah Carey: I 'can't believe' Prince has gone

'Prince was one of the best people I've met'

Joe Jonas' 'tough' pals

Joe Jonas' pals are 'tough' with his potential partners

The Bachelor wash up: bacon, plank offs and that white rose

Richie Strahan, second from left, with bachelorettes Eliza, Faith, Noni and Janey in a scene from episode one of the fourth season of The Bachelor.

RICHIE Strahan meets some beautiful, and colourful, bachelorettes.

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles