News

Man in coma after shock while charging iPhone

A Chinese man was sent into a coma after being shocked whiled charging his iPhone
A Chinese man was sent into a coma after being shocked whiled charging his iPhone

A 30-YEAR-old Chinese man, Wu Jian Tong, has fallen into a coma after receiving an electric shock by  a charging iPhone.

The news comes less than a week after reports of a Chinese air hostess killed whilst answering a call on her own charging iPhone.

Wu reportedly yelled "I'm getting shocked" after connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger. His sister rescued him by pulling the charger - later found to be a counterfeit or third-party product - from the socket.

"I then felt needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot," said Wu's sister. At this point her brother had become unresponsive, spasming and foaming at the mouth.

When an ambulance arrived on the scene Wu was not breathing, and paramedics had to resuscitate him as well as pry open the fingers of his left hand, which had clamped shut on the iPhone.

After taking him to the hospital Wu was found to be in a coma, albeit in a stable condition. "It was no doubt an electric shock," said Wu's doctor at Beijing's Hai Dian Hospital.

In a response to the incident Apple have said: "It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a "knock off" or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further."

"Our customers' safety is very important to us and we have carefully designed all Apple products to meet government safety standards. We recommend our customers only purchase Apple products from Apple or authorized Apple resellers."

Some reports have also suggested that counterfeit charger was also responsible for the earlier death of air hostess and bride-to-be Ma Ailun.

After Ma's death Chinese citizens argued back and forth on the internet regarding the threat posed by charging iPhones. Ma's sister tweeted the incident, saying "I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging."

Early reports over Wu's electrocution suggest that a counterfeit charger, not Apple, is responsible. Such items are often poorly constructed with inadequate insulation, and the Chinese government are well-known for their inability to stifle counterfeit markets.

Local papers also reported that on the day of Wu's electrocution it had been raining and the air inside the house very humid - factors that would have exacerbated the danger from the charger.

Topics:  china, editors picks, iphone



Outrage over photos of baby with drugs

Disturbing photos posted to Bundaberg Facebook page

Amputee wants to be given a chance at a job

TRY ME: Thomas Clayton wants a job and says he is finding it hard to get a chance because he has only one arm.

Man with one arm 'willing to give anything a go'

Storms are coming! What it means for your long weekend

Yes, it's going to affect your long weekend

Local Partners

Homer Simpson thanks Australia during Opera House visit

Homer Simpson visits the Sydney Opera House.

ANIMATION favourite gets attacked by seagulls in viral video.

Channel 9 orders second season of Doctor Doctor

Rodger Corser stars in the TV series Doctor Doctor.

RURAL medical drama finds a loyal following.

Katy Perry gets naked to encourage people to vote

Katy Perry in Funny Or Die sketch

Katy Perry has stripped naked for a comedy video

Jogging Tom Hanks crashes wedding in Central Park

Tom Hanks stopped for a selfie with this bride and groom

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

Developers boost confidence in Bundaberg property market

Slow and steady growth has always been Bundaberg’s way

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

First stages of $25 million housing development underway

New development on Madsen Rd - The Springs.

The blocks of land are much bigger than usual

Couple build their own 'tiny house' for $45k

Holly Bowen and Oli Bucher built their "tiny house" themselves, only hiring a plumber and an electrician. Photo/supplied

The house, which is built on a trailer and can be towed.