News

Man jailed for brutally bashing his mother and stealing car

IN JAIL: A man will serve prison time after a violent attack on his mother.
IN JAIL: A man will serve prison time after a violent attack on his mother. Mike Knott

A GIN Gin man who brutally attacked his mother before stealing her car and leaving her on the side of the road has been jailed.

>> Sign our petition for more domestic violence support services in Bundaberg 

The man, who can not be named for legal reasons, became enraged with his mother's driving on December 13 while she was taking him home from his probation appointment.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens yesterday told Bundaberg Magistrates Court the 37-year-old man and his mum were arguing in the car, prompting the woman to pull over at the South Kolan Police Station and ask her son to get out.

"He refused to get out and said if she did not drive on, he would punch her," Sgt Stevens said.

The 61-year-old woman refused to drive on and her son then punched her in the face twice, once to the nose and once to the side of her face, causing bruising and swelling.

Sgt Stevens said the woman got out of the car and tried to take the keys with her but her son crushed her hand in the door and then punched the door, hurting her hand further.

The man then stole his mum's car, leaving her injured on the side of the road.

The court heard the man had a long history of violence against women and he yesterday pleaded guilty to charges from other days too including an obstruct police charge, domestic violence breaches and several drug matters.

"That's nothing other than cowardly to be quite honest," probation parole officer Greg McMahon said of the assault.

Solicitor Matt Messenger said his client had been injured in a car crash in 2005 which contributed to his strong feelings about his mum's driving on the day in question.

"The 50km drive was on (his) account a white knuckle ride," Mr Messenger said.

The lawyer said during the trip, the car nearly crashed into a truck and a train on separate occasions.

"Your criminal history indicates to me there's some real violence there," Magistrate Deb Vasta said.

"When you lose your temper, you lose it in a big way.

"It's an extraordinarily violent reaction."

Mrs Vasta fashioned a sentence that will see the man, who has already spent a month behind bars, spend five more months in jail, three months on parole and six months on probation.

"There will be a slow withdrawing of supervision," Mrs Vasta said.

Topics:  bundaberg magistrates court, respect rebuild




Bundaberg man says Census is senseless

THE RESIDENT: Peter Haakmeester fears that many people will throw away their census paper which arrived in the mailbox as it looks like just another piece of junk mail.

Man says Census is senseless

How could they do this to someone who tried to help them?

JUNKIE SCUM DOG: Ross Newmann is disappointed with the graffiti sprayed on his Bargara Rd rental property.

Man devastated following graffiti attack

Latest deals and offers

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Police foiled terrifying 1m plot to kidnap Katie Price

Police foiled a £1 million plot to kidnap Katie Price and her family

Kristen Bell's baby confession

Kristen Bell once pretended to be asleep when her baby woke up early

Babylon 5's Jerry Doyle has died

Jerry Doyle has died from unknown causes at the age of 60

Is Elliott Heads the next Byron Bay?

Could Elliott Heads be the next Byron or Noosa?

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley